Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merriss

Blackberry Iris??

merriss
19 years ago

I have been given a Blackberry Iris that I understand can be very invasive. It was given to me by a neighbor who found it on his farm. THe plant, along with several others, has been on an old Homestead for over 150 years.

Can you give me some advice on what to do with it? It looks like an iris but the root system resembles that of the common house leek. It shoots up a spike and has orange/yellow flowers on it. I can see where it could be pretty but am afraid to plant it since the MINT experience.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

I'm assuming that your plant is Belamcanda chinensis, also known as Blackberry Lily or Leopard Lily. It's not on the list of invasive plants for Tennessee, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be a thug in your garden. Is it very invasive on the old homestead that your neighbor got it from?

I grew it from seed a few years ago, and it never really took off in my garden. It has died out since then.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN invasive plants

• merriss
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you..I appreciate the Botonical name also. Just could not find it.
    I am planting the Iris in an area that if in fact it does turn out to be a "bad girl", I might can do something about it.
    If you would like to try this plant again. I have 2 and you are welcome to one.
    Thank you for your help.

• Moonfairy
    19 years ago

If Cecilia of Baltimore does not want this plant, I would be interested in it. I might have something to trade if you are interested.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022