Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genetic Diversity in Heirlooms

Posted by devoidling none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 18:06

In heirloom seeds, how much genetic diversity is left? Can you selectively breed the line to what grows best in your climate or have they already been bread to near identical genetics?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genetic Diversity in Heirlooms

This is a complicated question to answer. For inbreeders like tomatoes and beans, there is very little genetic diversity left in heirloom varieties. They don't "adapt" very much from a conventional breeding perspective. Where there is some flexibility is in epigenetics. These are small changes that a plant can make in expression of genes to adapt to a given environment. Tomatoes in particular show epigenetic changes for adaptation to temperature extremes.

For outbreeders like corn, there is some room for selection, but it is usually limited by the years of selection that have gone into the variety. In other words, the more diversity has been reduced by inbreeding, the less adaptable the resulting plants become.

o
RE: Genetic Diversity in Heirlooms

Thanks. I'm growing in Texas and working on aquaponics so I was hoping that I could selectively breed for best performers for my situation, while staying heirloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here