Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmarra

Does cross-pollination matter if I'm not saving seeds?

karmarra
13 years ago

I made a mistake and planted Amish Pie Pumpkin and Boston Marrow Squash in the same garden. (I thought the Amish Pie was Cucurbita pepo, but I realize now that they're both Cucurbita maxima.)

I know you're not supposed to plant the same squash species in proximity to one another, but does this only matter if you're saving seeds? I've looked online and can't seem to get a straightforward answer. Could someone give me a reference that would help me?

I found both these squashes on the Ark of Taste and *had* hoped to save the seeds. I know that's not possible now, but I just want to know if I should be digging up some of my seeds and planting something else.

Thanks so much in advance.

Comments (2)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Cross-pollination of squash has no effect on the characteristics of this year's crop. If not saving seed, any crosses which might occur will cause no problems. Of the common garden vegetables, only corn can be affected this year by crossing with other corn types.

• farmfreedom
    13 years ago

Cross pollination changes the seed . so corn , nuts and any other seeds you eat will change .