Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanf1968

Museum Gardens

Jonathan
19 years ago

What museum gardens have you enjoyed visiting? My wife just asked me a good question. She said, "Summer is half over. What fun day trips should we go on to make sure that we don't feel like it slipped by, once it's over?"

We recently visited Orwell Corner Historic Village, in Prince Edward Island, which has a terrific garden.

In the past year, we also enjoyed gardens at Strawberry Banke (NH) and Old Sturbridge Village (MA).

Tell me more! Particularly in New England, for me, but maybe I'm sure that people in other regions would also like to share their favorite haunts.

--Jonathan

Comments (2)

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

We have had several threads on the Garden Restoration forum re both lesser known and world-class historical gardens worth visiting. Do a search of the GR forum and/or ask your question there as well.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

I have enjoyed the plantings at Shelburne Museum in Burlington, VT.
    The garden at Shelburne Farms was ok, but seemed like mostly annuals. Of course in the big picture, it is an Olmstead designed landscape. I did come away with a good idea which is to pay attention to the angle of the sun and how plant colors will catch it. I enjoyed Naumkeag because even though the plantings are small, they photograph big. I likedthe Mount too because they were restoring it so I got to see the "bones". And believe it or not, the Bristol Clock Museum because the plants all had a story and it's a do-able project.Hill-Stead is a nice example of Beatrix Farrand's work. I liked Berkshire Botanical GardensA LOT. Hancock Shaker Village has gardens worth looking at. And in Maine, everyone loves the McLaughlin Garden.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone