Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP - Some pest is eating my mature green heirlooms!

Posted by littlemary1234 So cal (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 20:01

I am a beginner gardener on a budget. Everyday Lately i am finding fruit being eaten right off the tomato plant. I didn't know this was happening until Ifound partly eaten tomatoes on the ground away from the plants. One day I found my Thai basil eaten to twigs. I thought it was the bunnies from the neighbors yard, so I put up a steel fence. I thought it was birds til I found them almost all the way eaten. Now I suspect rats. It would be a mere feat to enclose this whole garden bed... I started dusting everything with cayenne pepper, but whatever it is, keeps testing the fruit. So while the pepper is deterring the pest, it's not keeping them from trying to eat them. They bite out chunks and spit it out right there... But move onto the next fruit. They are not learning. I have now started to ziploc Baggie the fruits. I have some questions regarding my organic methods.
1. Will the dusting of cayenne hurt the bees?
2. Will the fruit get larger while in the Baggie, or only ripen? (Ventilated)

I'm not sure how to post more than one pic and so sorry for the horrible thing and grammar. I'm typing this on an iPhone and it sucks because I can't see everything. Immediate responses will be super appreciated, as I'm riding on precious time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP - Some pest is eating my mature green heirlooms!

Lost another, this time a purple Cherokee. Ate thru a ziploc bag to get to it. Very persistent pest.

o

Rats? Maybe a small fence would keep them out? I don't know if they would climb a fence or not. Geez. I guess you need an outdoor cat!

o

more distruction :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here