Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenquest_gw

What the highest # of fruit set your Cherokee Purple ever?

gardenquest
16 years ago

i am wondering what has been the most fruit set on your CP? I have a plant that is 2 mths old and starting to produce little green baby's.....i counted 13 of them tonight. This plant is not very big, not over4 ft tall for sure, - will it be able to hold all that fruit or should i take some off?

i will try to post a photo / link to the CP in Question.

thanks

Tina

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)

• phantom_white
    16 years ago

Nice plants. =) I haven't grown Cherokee Purple yet, but after all the good things I've heard about it, I'll definetly grow it next year. Good luck with your plants!

Abby

• burntplants
    16 years ago

Two.

And the dog ate 1 1/2 of them.

But then, I have bad luck with toms except cherry-type.
    (And yes, I did cut off the bit with dog spit and eat the rest--it was tasty!)

Vicky's blog!

• bella_trix
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of the numbers of tomatoes. Now I wish I had! Even when the plants were smaller, they seemed to be able to support a lot of fruit. I did tie them to the trellis is many places. The picture I had of the first harvest from my Cherokee Purple (in August), shows 22 tomatoes at one time from three plants. They just keep on producing until blight (most likely Verticillium Wilt) started to get the plants in mid September. I had my last Cherokee Purple in early October. Sadly, I can't tell you the exact number, but it seemed like a lot! And very tasty, too.

Hope yours were tasty, too,
    Bellatrix

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting