Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcstan

Birds Eye Pepper?

bcstan
19 years ago

Does anybody out there have any seed for the old fashion, OP, pepper called "Birds Eye Pepper". I have been searching for years and can't find it.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Betty

Comments (13)

• motherduck
    19 years ago

Check this link to see if this is the one you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird's Eye Pepper

• annschickenfarm
    19 years ago

Hi,Did you find your seeds yet? I have some I could send you if you'd like.They really are hard to germinate but maybe you'll have better luck than I did.Ann.

• kab0
    19 years ago

I have these seeds and would be happy to provide. They grow wild on my property. I germinated about 500 plants this year. Folks seem to have trouble germinating these peppers, but i had no problem. Let me know if you would like to try! I'll send you some...

• pepe85323
    19 years ago

With all those free seeds I don't think you'll need this, but if the seeds are that hard to start here is a site that sells live plants. I have used them and was happy with what I recieved.

Look it up at www.chiliplants.com

• BILLLUCI_CFL_RR_COM
    13 years ago

GROWING UP IN NEW ORLEANS IN THE LATE 40S & EARLY 50S WE ALWAYS HAD 6 OR 8 BUSHES IN THE BACK YARD WHICH SUPPLIED US WITH PEPPERS YEAR 'ROUND. THEY WERN'T MUCH LARGER THAN A GREEN PEA, BUT ELONGATED LIKE A LEMON. WE HAD TO PICK THEM AS SOON AS THEY STARTED TURNING RED BECAUSE THE MOCKING BIRDS WOULD PICK THE BUSHES CLEAN. MY GRANDFATHER WOULD USE A TOOTHPICK TO PUNCH HOLES IN ABOUT 1.5 CUPS OF PEPPERS AND THEN SOAK THEM IN VINEGAR FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS. GREAT ON SALADS, GREENS, RED BEANS, OR WHATEVER. I LEFT NEW ORLEANS IN 1982 AND FAILED TO TAKE SOME SEED PEPPERS WITH ME. I WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME SEEDS OR PEPPERS TO START SOME PLANTS HERE IN FLORIDA. THEY ALSO MAKE VERY NICE ORNAMENTALS.

• warrenjane_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

Like Bill, we also grew up in New Orleans and everyone had these peppers growing in their yard. We left in 1988 and now live in Atlanta but have not been able to find these peppers anywhere. We would love to have them again either a small bush or seeds. If anyone knows how to find them we would love to know how to get them.

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Go to a mexican grocery store, buy the pods(real cheap, buck a bag). Just plant a lot of them. This way you will have some that will germinate. I gew some last year. They are pretty ornamental and the pods are HOT.One tiny pod is all I need to spice up my cooking.

• phillip_rosenbaum_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

These little peppers grow wild here also(south of Houston). I found the first one in a flower bed about 10 years ago and have them all over, growing along the fence line. I dig them up and plant in pots and flower beds.
    When I can tomatoes, I mix them in for a little zip.

• chiefo_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

I am also from New Orleans, now in Abita Springs, La. My dad used to grow bird's eye peppers among other veggies. If some of the other writers of the comments who have some, make some available to me I would really appreciate it. If you are relatively close I will be glad to pick the up.

• bigdantoo_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Iam in a small town in tha south I have some of tha peppers u r talking about and boy they r hottttttt. If u would like I would more then happy to get them to u give me a called 251-244-8065

• gloria2008
    12 years ago

i am looking for the true birdeye which is round, however the seeds will not work as they are not true to the round peppers. when i plant the seeds from round peppers i still get elongated peppers so i need to trade for a pepper plant that is producing the true birdeye peppers that are round.i have lots of plants to trade just not pepper plants

• bjs33
    12 years ago

gloria2008, These are the round type birdseye.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tepin/ bridseye

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I grew some last year that I received in a group swap. They were
    very small and round. If you want the rest of the seeds gloria you
    can try them. Send me a message if your interested.