Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel_z5

2000yr old extinct date palm seeds germinate!

angel_z5
17 years ago

Scientists have managed to germinate an extinct date palm tree seed in Israel. I read this article in the July 2006 issue of "Biblical Archaeology Review". The seeds are 2000 years old from an excavation site at Masada. Researchers were given 3 seeds, and one germinated. BAR article says that if it is a female plant, then it may fruit as early as 2010. Woohoo! If it is a male plant, well, then it is just super cool anyhow. Currently, it is about 2 feet high, and growing.

If one in three germinated, I wish the scientist (Sara Sallon) could get more. I would hate to wait years just to find out it is not female.

No dispute this is an heirloom seed!

Always an. . .Angel

Comments (2)

• jimster
    17 years ago

Can a female palm self-pollinate? That's what your message implies, so I guess it can. Cloning would be another option, whether male or female. I don't know about palms, but it's not difficult to clone most plants.

Jim

• angel_z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Jimster, the articles seemed to imply that they could. For more info do a search on "Sarah Sallon" and "date". Lots of related articles with interesting info.

Always an. . .Angel