Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Buying melons now, for seeds...

franktank232
16 years ago

next year???!!! I see my local grocery store is carrying all kinds of different types of melons this week for 46/cents a pound. Which ones would work for me do you think? Or which ones will come true from seed!? I would pick the ripest one i could find. They also have free sampling eveyday :)

They have: Casaba, Crenshaw, Galia, Persian?, Sharlyne, Juan Canary, or Santa Claus? Thanks. I thought it might be cheaper just doing it this way and saving seed for next spring. I currently am growing Charentais and Sugar Baby (watermelon).

Comments (3)

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Might be more fun, but you won't save any significant money. Most, if not all will be hybrids. Even if they were not, growers rarely worry above cross pollination,. You can get some very interesting melons and odds are they will be pretty good. You just can't put a name to them.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK. Any better then others that i should be aware of? I plan on picking at least one variety up tonite. I save money because i get to eat the melon too!!!!

• Macmex
    16 years ago

Frank,

It's all a matter of personal preference. I had a friend who used to save seed from whatever melon he liked, adding it to his coffee can. Every year he's plant from his coffee can, saving seed from his crossed melons. It was amazing to see how different traits re-combined. But they were all good!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County