Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatomike

Looking for Tromboncino Seeds

tomatomike
16 years ago

I am looking for seeds for the squash called Tromboncino because I want to try it next year and cannot find a source for them from the usual seed companies I deal with or local sources. Is this an heirloom that the seeds are saved from (even if it is grown in proximity to other squash types)?

Thanks,

TM

Comments (5)

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

TM,

Cook's Garden offer Tromboncino seed www.cooksgarden.com. Their catalog, available on request, will make your mouth water! They offer a wide variety of heirloom and organic seeds at a reasonable price. Check them out!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

"Tromboncino" is also known as "Zucchetta Rampicante". It is Cucurbita moschata, a relative of the Butternut squash. There are actually quite a few sources, under various names; Pinetree Garden Seeds carries it under the full name of "Zucchetta Rampicante Tromboncino".

I am growing "Tromboncino" this year as a seed crop, and hope to have seed available for trade this Fall.

• tomatomike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody for the responses. I am going to get on the list for a cook's garden catalogue for sure. Now can someone tell me their opinion of this squash. This year I grew straight neck yellow summer squash and spaghetti squash (best it has grown in years by the way). I was drawn to trying this type because of its listed resistance to viruses and vine borers.

TM

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

I will vouch for its resistance to borers... as well as to mosaic, and a fair resistance to bacterial wilt. They also tolerate cucumber beetles, which only attack the plants heavily if they are under stress from other causes (which for me, usually means a squash bug attack). Only the young plants appear to be vulnerable; once they get established & begin to vine, nothing bothers them. They are, in fact, quite rampant... be prepared for long vines. I began growing Tromboncino for these reasons, in place of the borer & disease-prone zucchini... I now prefer it.

The flavor is interesting... not exactly the same as zucchini, but very pleasant. It can be used in all the same ways; I have tried it in both bread & relish recipes, with good results. Oh, and imagine a "zucchini" which is 90% seedless! All of the seeds are located in a bulb on the end. It freezes very well, blanching to a beautiful lime green, and stays firmer than zucchini.

The vines bear heavily, especially if they are allowed to root at the nodes, and will continue to produce until just before frost. But it is not for the space-challenged, unless trellised. It is a _strong_ climber - I wish my cukes climbed as well! Trellising will also produce straighter fruits. You can find a considerable number of photos on GW, one of them mine on the "Unusual Vegetables" thread.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!