Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatlakesmower

Paddypan State Fair Entry

greatlakesmower
16 years ago

My kids are going to enter a heirloom Paddypan squash at the state fair. We have two on the plant that are pretty good size, but I am concerned they may not last long enough because the plant leaves are covered in mildew. The day we need to take them in is next Wednesday(7 days away), and the fair starts two days later. If I decide to take them off the plant before then, what would be the best way to keep them preserved for judging? I am concerned about them rotting in the garden if the plant is not strong enough to keep them alive.

Thanks.

Comment (1)

• blueflint
    16 years ago

Pattypan squash hold pretty well once they get large and mature. I have a couple large ones that have been sitting in the kitchen for 3 weeks and no problems so far. Once removed, lightly wash them and store in a cool place or fridge until you go, they should be fine.

This is an underused squash. Small and medium ones are great sliced and fried in butter and garlic, shopped and fried in butter and added to scrambled eggs, small ones are great hollowed out and stuffed. Large ones are fine for bread making or skinned and cubed for many cooking dishes.

Blueflint