Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenacres64

pink banana squash

Greenacres64
21 years ago

howdy there

Any one have any idea what these look like as the grow. I planted so squash and they look similar to a summer squash. Any info would be nice thanx.

Greenacres64

Comments (36)

• Violet_Z6
    21 years ago

{{gwi:877272}}

{{gwi:877273}}

• Greenacres64
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Just kinda what to know. What does it look like as it is growing? Before mature.

GreenAcres64

• CatNTree
    21 years ago

One I'd like to try

• azkiknchihuahuas
    21 years ago

I grow pink banana squash.
    Last year I picked them when they were little and ate them as a summer squash.
    I let some of them grow big and ate them like a butternut squash.
    Excellent squash, easy to grow, great taste.
    Enjoy

• JardandeLune
    20 years ago

I grow Pink Banana Squash. I love it. I won't be planting much if any yellow summer squash next year because this squash is so versatile. I pick it small (12-14 inches is small for this squash) for frying (like yellow squash) this is probably a southern thing. It can be steamed or just about anything you would do with winter squash at anytime after that. The size of this plant is super gigantic, though. The one I grew this year stretches a full 40 feet in every direction with leaves bigger than dinner plates which are held very upright. Auwsome plant great tasting squash. Can be sliced and eaten raw. Great keeper. Can't say enough good stuff about this squash. I joined this group hoping to find out what others have to say about it, so please respond if you know and grow it.

• PPennypacker
    20 years ago

I was so excited about your thread, I had to tell you that I was given this squash by a friend last summer. Boy, did it feed lots of people and I made the greatest Curried Squash Soup & had pints of the pureed, cooked squash for the middle of out cold last winter for a myriad of recipes. Never heard of it or cooked it B4. What bounty!
    Best,
    PP

• giant_pumpkin
    20 years ago

Any one got a few seed to swap?.I grow giant pkins,,like to trade for a few pink banana sq...Thanks...Jeff

• winane
    20 years ago

yes..we have a few of them growing in the garden right now. they are huge..each must weigh in around 40 or 50 lbs hehehe. i don't know as yet who we will be sharing it with!! it's just the two of us at the dinner table :))

• lunamoon
    20 years ago

I'm growing this for the first time this year also. Are they pink from the beginning or do they ripen to that color? Mine is yellow so I'm wondering if I got the seeds mixed up....... The plant is pretty big like JardandeLune mentioned. Mine is close to 20 feet long.

• JardandeLune
    19 years ago

Haven't checked in for a long time. Pink banana squash is yellow in colour for quite some time, then turns pinkish when quite large. Good keeper--it is June and I still have one keeping from last summer. Good luck to all you squash growers for the new season!!

• anna_z7
    19 years ago

My first year growing this variety also, so please tell me the plant isn't really 40' wide!!

I thought it was a bush variety ...

a

• flodhesten
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I have started a few plants of green banana squash. Does anybody know if it will be similar to pink banana? Or should I expect something quite different.

Thanks Soren.

• anna_z7
    19 years ago

What a relief!

I found my seed packet and it does say that the variety I planted is 'bush pink banana' & an additional note states 'compact bush plants' - WHEW!!

Packaged by Burpee and purchased at Wal-mart, the description says it is a half-size banana squash at 12-16#.

So now I'm wondering if this means it's a hybrid...

Soren, could you mean blue banana squash? I was unable to locate info on a green variety but that's not saying much as I also had no luck locating a bush variety online. You do get credit/blame when I find & grow that rainbow squash!

Here's a link about the blue - it's down the page a bit.

a

Here is a link that might be useful: blue banana squash

• Kathy7
    19 years ago

JardandeLune

"--it is June and I still have one keeping from last summer."

Just wondering how do you store this squash so you can keep it so long? I have never tried to grow it but it really sounds interesting. I'm not sure how I would use up that much squash with just 2 of us though. LOL.

Kathy

• uptown
    19 years ago

I use it to make pumpkin pie, it is better than any pumpkin as a filler.

• trudyjean82
    19 years ago

I would love to try growing this come spring, it sounds interesting if anyone has any seeds to spare. Take a look at my list if your willing to share. Thanks, trudyjean

• SuAnne
    18 years ago

Does anyone know why it is called 'banana'?

Is there any cross in the seed with bananas? I have a sever 'latex' allergy and eating this squash would be deadly for me. Please don't laugh, I am truly serious about this.

Is there anyone that can assist me?

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Banana is a common name to this squash. Pink banana looks like it is a reference to its shape and color. Not really sure what your trying to ask? It is in no way related to musa genus.

• mistercross
    18 years ago

Right. SuAnne, the name comes from the shape, as with "banana peppers." The picture above is pretty straight, but some are more curved. Look up "banana squash" in Google Images for more pictures.

I wasn't aware that latex allergy can be related to other food allergies. For those similarly unaware, apparently natural latex is a plant product and a reaction to a plant protein can cause problems with some foods. About.com lists some foods (under the heading "Cross-Reactive Allergens").

Since melons are listed, maybe you should use caution. Squash are related to pumpkin, cantaloupe, cucumber, and watermelon. But the melon relationship might be distant enough for safety.

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

We grow pink banana squash on alternate years, dedicating a large area of the market garden to allow the vines to run to 30 or more feet. Here in coastal S.Cal are cool and often overcast summers slow the growth of the vines; so, instead of 100 days, the fruit starts maturing at 125-140 days.

We tried growing them in one of the orchards but ended up feeding every rodent in the area...no harvestable fruit at all.

I consider this squash to be one of the best for the kitchen in soups, as a side dish, and even served stuffed. We add them to stir fries too. As others have written, these are long keepers.

• ufdionysus
    18 years ago

I would love to trade seeds for some of that pink banana goodness. I have seminole pumpkin, calalu, moringa, chinese red lettuce, magenta lambs quarters, all sorts of fun stuff. e-mail me for address, etc. UFDionysus@aol.com

• gilltapia
    18 years ago

I too am most interested in trading for some Pink Banana Squash seeds. I have seen them at our local farmers market and even did a painting of one (4 years ago). Unfortunately at that time I didn't save a seed from it. I grew Jaradale and Gill-Blue Hubbard last season and have seeds of either for trade even have digital pics.

Thank you.

Alvin Gill-Tapia
    New Mexico Gardner

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

Hey Alvin, I haven't forgotten you and your request for PB squash seed. I am drying down some right now and will sent you some. Yes, I will use a padded envelop because the seed is too large for save mailing.

• darrin_m
    16 years ago

Any advise on growing pink banana squash? I have tried for two years now and had little luck. I plant as many seeds as possible with usually only one plant thats grows and produces anything. I've tried growing flat or on hills. Lots of water, little water. Lots of sun, little sun. Not much luck. Please help.

• bill41-2007
    16 years ago

7/31/2007
    Livingston County Kentucky grows 3 1/2 foot in just 45 days. The seed came from Blythe California (commercial winter growers) and were 2 years old. 100% germination. I Sun Dried the seeds from a mature squash for 2 weeks, cleaned them bagged them in baggies. Put seeds in refrigerator for two weeks before planting. Fertilize soil well. Water thoroughly in two week intervals. I let mine grow from the garden into the yard mowing around the vines. It helps to put the squash on a plastic shopping bag as they grow.
    We halve the squash lengthwise, then cut into 6-8 inch pieces to microwave for 8/10 minutes in a corell covered dish with a bit oif water. Helps to liberally puncture flesh with a fork and salt/butter/pepper liberally before cooking.

• ameliawrites_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I just won a bag full of these seeds at an organic farm conference. Yippee!! Doesn't sound like I need to plant them all though.

AJ

• chaseplace
    12 years ago

Last year we bought a tasty Pink Banana Squash at Earth Grown in Oceanside, California, saved the seeds and ate it. It was one of the best banana squash we have had and Pink Banana is the best tasting squash in our book. I Planted them this year and now have a dozen Squash in the frigerator, Garage and on the vine. Just steamed one 8-14-11 cut in 2'x 2' pieces. Added butter. It was some of the best Squash I have ever had. Even my picky, only likes Turkey Salmon mix, cat came after me and ate some. Picky grandson wanted to eat the whole community test bowl. Will save seed from the best tasting and plant again next year. I think I found a winner to add to my Victory Garden. I'm a Prepper. Prepper Lewis on Youtube

• chaseplace
    12 years ago

I was shocked to see Pink Banana starts out yellow. I had other yellow squash in the year before so when yellow came up I thought old seed was sprouting, and some was, or my gleaned seed was queer hybrid...very confused. I decided I had failed my mission and ignored the mess to later see big bananas to my shock and joy. Very happy with these squash as we sit right now eating some of it..

• pporte_snet_net
    12 years ago

this is my second try at growing guatamalan blue squash and i couldn't be happier ! on my first try i had to harvest one squash in early august because it was dying from all the bugs. about 10" long and delicious !! for some reason we have no squash bugs this year, and insect barrier over the 2 plants until late july seemed to keep away SVB's. the biggest of 5 squash is getting corky at the stem, but it's only about 20" long. will it keep growing ? the smallest stopped growing at 8" so i just picked it. also nipped of the vine tips last week. don't want to seem greedy, but is there anything else i can do at this point to help my 4 prize squash along ? is it too late for more fertilizer ? thanks for any more info....pat

• sjironworks_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Substitute this wonderful squash for pumpkin in pies. Same recipe, different squash, Wonderful taste,

• mimikatan
    8 years ago

We had a mystery squash growing out of our compost this year. Just last week these yellow squashes took on a pinkish tone. I'm assuming it is from the pink banana squash I put in the compost last year. From this point on how long would I have to wait until I can harvest it for winter keeping?

• farmerdill
    8 years ago

For those who are interested. Pink Banana is the the most comonn of this type of squash. Pretty widely available. A larger version ( this one will get 4 feet long and and around 40 lbs) with 60 lb squash is Georgia Candy Roaster. Smaller version 12-20 lbs is the North Georgia Candy Roaster. They are excellent winter squash.

• rgreen48
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm growing North Georgia Candy Roasters for the first time this year. I emailed the seed company to ask when to harvest, and they said that I'll see the part of the stem which holds the fruit to the vine die back.

Here's a few pics of where some of mine are at now...

I harvested and cured one already. It's stem was at the same point as this stem in the last pic. I'm hoping I harvested it at a good time, and that the seeds will be mature enough for saving. Does anyone know for sure?

• Nathan Brewster
    7 years ago

I just planted seeds for pink banana squash in April. I didn't know when to plant them. From info I've gathered off the web it seems that the banana squash can be grown in the summer as well as winter. Does anyone know? I've had to transplant from seed into my planter box and plan on letting the vines run all over my yard around my two foot high planter box.

• HU-94983961
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Well I can't believe my first post was so long ago, how time truly flies. Well here is my newest one and it is destined to be a painting - I'll post a pic of the painting too. From my 2021 garden - the vines were about 20 feet long - and it initially had two squash growing - eventually one died off and this one prevailed - I LOVE IT!!!

Over the last years I have planted seeds that I finally purchased from Botanical Interests - this is the first time one was produced. If anyone wants seeds and want to trade some - please get in touch with me via my website below.

Cheers and Love -

Alvin Gill-Tapia

Painter/Gardener, Santa Fe - NM

www.alvingilltapia.com