Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbersquirrel

When are Prescot Fond Blanc Melons ripe?

timbersquirrel
18 years ago

How can you tell when Prescot Fond Blanc melons are ripe? Mine turned white a week or two ago, should I be picking them? They're not turning rotten yet, but I'd like to get to them before they rot.

Comment (1)

• carolync1
    18 years ago

I'm no expert on this melon, and I live in a hot-summer climate, which may affect the signs of maturity. My PFBs turned a light orange-buff color and became very fragrant when ripe. Actually, they were fragrant before they were ripe. They slipped from the vine when the stem attachment was pushed. I don't think they are supposed to do this. But climate may have been a factor. They will be slightly flexible on the blossom end, too - but not soft.

Early in the season, I had PFBs pop from the vine before they were ripe - when they were still white, after watering. Be sure to withhold water before harvest. This is a very attractive melon when sliced to feature the scalloped edge. It was not the sweetest melon I grew this year, but not the least-sweet, either. The fragrance is stronger than with most melons, even before cutting.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?