Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugtussellmom

Please Clarify the Words

bugtussellmom
14 years ago

Heirloom, Organic and non-GM in regard to seeds. I am totally confused and would like to use the correct terms.

Are all Organic seeds non-GM?

Are all Heirloom seeds non-GM?

Also - seedless grapes - all varieties will be genetically modified, right? Does that mean they are chemically treated?

Also, I'm confused with "genetically modified" in general. Is it correct to assume that all "treated" seeds are GM?

Are some seeds genetically modified simply to create a new variety - and are not necessarily unhealthy? (I consider all the seeds treated for either pests or weed-growth to be unhealthy.)

All I know is I don't want any seeds that our government agencies have tampered with over the years. I am of the belief that changing the seed structure has led to food that is less-healthy so I wish to avoid all of the seeds which are made un-natural. (I hope that made sense).

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions and lessons!!!

Comments (4)

• perlite
    14 years ago

Well, I don't know all those answers! but your question has been there a couple of days.

Heirloom varieties are those that have been around a long time and may have become hard to find. A lot of us seek those out, knowing we can save some seed from them and they should come true. I am also sure that a true heirloom seed won't be GM.

On other questions, I leave it to others. My knowledge on them is mostly assumption, which, I guess, means it isn't knowledge at all!

I'd like to watch this thread, as I've wondered if hybridizing is considered genetic modification, or if GM refers only to splicing genetic material intentionally.

• bruce2288
    14 years ago

bug tussel

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

"Are all Organic seeds non-GM? " There are no GM vegetable seeds cuurently available under the "organic " label. But organic refers to to cultural methods so could be possible in the future. Only GM vegetable currently available is Syngenta's Bt sweet corn and it is not available to home gardeners.

"Are all Heirloom seeds non-GM?" currently yes. "heirloom" is a varying definition. Some use age of introduction, others anything not introduced by a major seed company, others use the term for any open pollinated seed. All "heirlooms" are open pollinated"

"Also - seedless grapes - all varieties will be genetically modified, right? Does that mean they are chemically treated? " No seedless grapes were developed using standard crossbreeding practices. As with most named cultivars of fruits, they are reproduced by cloning. (grafting)

"Are some seeds genetically modified simply to create a new variety - and are not necessarily unhealthy? (I consider all the seeds treated for either pests or weed-growth to be unhealthy.)" While a vast amount of experimenting has taken place over the years, most GM products introduced to the public have been (1) (field cropS) and (2) pest control. Bt corn and Round-up ready corn, soybeans etc in the forefront.

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

One form of treated seeds are those treated w/ antifungicide to keep them from rotting in the ground before germination.

Corn, Pumpkin (are all I've dealt w/)- lets them be direct sowed in cooler weather where as non treated seeds will rot in the ground before germination takes place which is usually dependent on hotter soil temps.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures