Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Clarify the Words

Posted by bugtussellmom 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 14:07

Heirloom, Organic and non-GM in regard to seeds. I am totally confused and would like to use the correct terms.

Are all Organic seeds non-GM?

Are all Heirloom seeds non-GM?

Also - seedless grapes - all varieties will be genetically modified, right? Does that mean they are chemically treated?

Also, I'm confused with "genetically modified" in general. Is it correct to assume that all "treated" seeds are GM?

Are some seeds genetically modified simply to create a new variety - and are not necessarily unhealthy? (I consider all the seeds treated for either pests or weed-growth to be unhealthy.)

All I know is I don't want any seeds that our government agencies have tampered with over the years. I am of the belief that changing the seed structure has led to food that is less-healthy so I wish to avoid all of the seeds which are made un-natural. (I hope that made sense).

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions and lessons!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Clarify the Words

• Posted by perlite z6, southern IN (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 14:10

Well, I don't know all those answers! but your question has been there a couple of days.

Heirloom varieties are those that have been around a long time and may have become hard to find. A lot of us seek those out, knowing we can save some seed from them and they should come true. I am also sure that a true heirloom seed won't be GM.

On other questions, I leave it to others. My knowledge on them is mostly assumption, which, I guess, means it isn't knowledge at all!

I'd like to watch this thread, as I've wondered if hybridizing is considered genetic modification, or if GM refers only to splicing genetic material intentionally.

o

bug tussel< May I suggest before you become Against something maybe it would be a good idea to know what it is. Maybe google organic, hybrid, genetic modified and learn about these terms.

o

"Are all Organic seeds non-GM? " There are no GM vegetable seeds cuurently available under the "organic " label. But organic refers to to cultural methods so could be possible in the future. Only GM vegetable currently available is Syngenta's Bt sweet corn and it is not available to home gardeners.

"Are all Heirloom seeds non-GM?" currently yes. "heirloom" is a varying definition. Some use age of introduction, others anything not introduced by a major seed company, others use the term for any open pollinated seed. All "heirlooms" are open pollinated"

"Also - seedless grapes - all varieties will be genetically modified, right? Does that mean they are chemically treated? " No seedless grapes were developed using standard crossbreeding practices. As with most named cultivars of fruits, they are reproduced by cloning. (grafting)

"Are some seeds genetically modified simply to create a new variety - and are not necessarily unhealthy? (I consider all the seeds treated for either pests or weed-growth to be unhealthy.)" While a vast amount of experimenting has taken place over the years, most GM products introduced to the public have been (1) (field cropS) and (2) pest control. Bt corn and Round-up ready corn, soybeans etc in the forefront.

o

One form of treated seeds are those treated w/ antifungicide to keep them from rotting in the ground before germination.

Corn, Pumpkin (are all I've dealt w/)- lets them be direct sowed in cooler weather where as non treated seeds will rot in the ground before germination takes place which is usually dependent on hotter soil temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here