Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgigirl_2008

cord seed

georgigirl_2008
15 years ago

I am looking for an old corn seed called Thompson's Prolific. I live in NW Geogia and my father-in-law says he growed this corn back when he was a younger. I am trying to locate him some.

Thank you,

gg

Comments (5)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Have not encountered it. It could have a local cultivar. Southern Seed Legacy has lot local, regular and misnamed cultivars, but Thompson's I did not see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Seed Legacy

• donm
    15 years ago

I've heard of it. It was a common corn down south before hybrids became popular. I can't see it for sale anywhere not even on Seed Savers Exchange and they offer the most varieties. You might try your state Universtiy. Most of them have agricultural schools and maintain various Heirloom varieties common to that state. They might help you out. If that doesn't work try the North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station in Ames, Iowa. They normaly only provide seed to seed companies and other plant breeders. However for others who are looking for a variety that is absolutely not available anywhere else they have been known to provide it.

• zebraman
    15 years ago

Hey georgigirl; Are you sure it's not "Hasting's Prolific White"?- which is an old time "do-all" corn 12' tall, and capable of producing many ears. This var. is from Georgia.

• TNMAN1963
    9 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but georgigirl if your still looking for thompson's prolific corn, my great,great,great,uncle james milo thompson developed this corn in the 1930's my family has been growing it ever since, my dad is named after him , there is a white and a yellow variety, we grow both, the white makes some of the best ground cornmeal we have ever had, it is a reliable producer in the middle south, i don't know how it does in other parts of the us, but would be interesting to find out, contact me if you are still interested.

• seedycharacter
    9 years ago

@ TNMAN63: I'm VERY interested in acquiring some GENUINE Thompson's Prolific Seed Corn.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio