Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwayssunshine_gw

New Heirloom Garden, Need tons of Advice.

alwayssunshine
14 years ago

I posted a similar link in the general Vegetable forum but thought that people with Heirloom knowledge might have some unique insight for me.

I have ordered some seemingly unbelievable seeds from Seed Savers Exchange and want to prepare the ground and garden for my veggies. Ordered: Dragon Carrots, True Lemon and White Wonder cucumbers, Mtn. Sweet Yellow watermelon, Summer Crookneck squash, Buran and Purple Beauty bell peppers, and Hillbilly Potato Leaf, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Gold Medal, Moonglow, Brandywine (Sudduth's Strain) and Long Tom Tom's.

I don't know where to start, I am in Zone 10b, so I know I can grow here now, but am still worried it might be too hot. Where on the property do I plant? We have an east facing spot that will get some afternoon shade, we can plant in the back yard for full 12+ hours of sun, and an alcove that would be shaded in the early morning and late afternoon but get almost 8 hours of full sun. All requiring pulling up St Augustine grass, but I am happy to do it, just want to do it in the right spot. (No Chemicals have been used on the lawn for years, I checked with previous owner!) Also we will have an automatic sprinkler system near by all areas so if needed it can get daily or even twice daily watering, if we don't have rain.

I gardened as a kid, with lots of help from Dad, and would like to have enough food to feed our family good things. I tried to do research on the varieties I picked, knowing some might not work here (Black Krim), but now I don't how to start out on the best foot.

Like what do I need to do to prep the beds for the best nutrients (the Tom's are my first priority) and to maximize weed control? I have time to do this right, I would love to have a good crop.

I think I could stop there for now but I am sure I will have tons more questions, thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (2)

• organicdan
    14 years ago

Sounds like you are getting off to a great start with options.

The max sun opportunity would be best; you can add shade. The best step towards soil prep would be a complete soil evaluation. Find out what is there, the pH, and level of organic matter. Look for organic ammendment sources so able to fill the soil test recommendations. Start a compost bin (or two) since always the best ammendment at any time.

One important step will be planning a rotation. Do not plant the same species (tomato, carrot, etc) in the same spot. If you have the room try including some pea and/or beans, lettuces or spinach and perhaps a brassicas. These will offer a rotation based on family grouping. Look at at least a four year rotation, five if you have the diverse families to allow it.

Do look at cover crops to add organic matter, reduce erosion, retain nutrients, control weeds and expand your rotation. Rye, clover, buckwheat or alfalfa are a few to consider; mow before seed production.

The varieties should get a two or three year effort since each year may offer different weather. Find varieties that will grow well, or simply allow them to adapt to your region by saving seeds from those that do perform well.

Look for a mulch source like straw to reduce your watering needs. Look into a drip system to maximize your water retention; I like the RainBird line.

Finally, keeping it brief, (ha ha) start small with wide beds. Expand as you improve the soil.

Good growing.

• bgrow_gardens
    14 years ago

I agree with organicdan as well. I also have another suggestion... Check out your local agricultural extension resources they are a wealth of information as well. They also offer soil tests for modest fees too. If you have any, check out your local gardening clubs. They can be a wealth of information as well if that helps? Sounds like you have a great variety of seeds to work with. I hope they all do well for you. I hope all goes well with them and be sure and save some seeds..
    bgrow_gardens

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus