Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand-pollinating Heirloom Melons

Posted by CarolynC1 z8/9 CA inland (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 19:52

What is your favorite method of pollinating heirloom melons in order to save seed of a known variety, if you are growing more than one variety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand-pollinating Heirloom Melons

Carolyn - I guesss no one has a favorite method.:)

o

I seem to have a hard time getting melon pollen on a brush. Guess I'll stick to the "direct approach" - male blossom to female blossom.

o

That is how I do it. It is the only method I know/tried for melons. Hence why I didn't post a favorite method. :)

o

CarolynCl - I would go for the direct method, too. But I honestly always buy seeds and seedlings because I am too lazy to save my own. Also, I am always afraid I've got cross pollination with the cukes. I do admire your efforts, though and hope you have a good crop next year.

My Butterscotch Sweeties and Ambrosia are done. Lots of smaller fruit than last year. Overall, it's about 6 degrees cooler - both the high and low temps, than last year. I do have some Galias left. They have been outstanding.

I have also planted new seeds of Butterscotch, Haogen, and Charentais. It's real tricky to do a fall crop because the morning dew and cooler nights cause a lot more disease than they do now.

o

Bill,

I'm just playing around with pollinating a few melons. Most of my plants next year will be from professionally grown seeds. You can get some melons which aren't at all good by planting saved seed.

I've tried to isolate the blossoms I am pollinating myself, though I don't know if I have been completely successful with the male blossoms. I don't worry about cross-pollination with cukes, as they have such a hard time getting any cuke to cross with any melon professionally (to my knowledge, it's been done with one wild melon species). Except for the Armenian cucumbers, which are actually melons. But random cross-pollination between good melons often does not yield an improved product.

My crop planted in late April is about done here, except for the Small Persians and a few late fruits of Marygold, Sugarnut, Ha Ogen, Banana, one unidentified melon and Petit Gris de Rennes. One or two plants of Early Sugarshaw from May will be coming out, having given their all to some really big melons. The other May melons are starting to ripen.

Good luck with your fall crop. I'll be very lucky if I get fruits here from seeds planted in June and July, too, as the nights cool off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here