Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgary_gw

Susstainable Mountain Agriculture Center Seed Exchange October 1s

vgary
12 years ago

The annual heirloom seed-swap and meet-n-greet at the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center is firm for this year. Bill Best will again be hosting the event on Saturday, October 1, at the SMAC farm in Berea, Kentucky.

When it comes to both the number of seeds available for trade, sale, or just plain gifting, and the assembled knowledge possessed by the group who regularly attend, this is one of the most significant such meetings of the heirlooms year---particularly for those interested in Appalachian heirlooms.

So mark your calendars for October 1.

Hope to see you all there.

PS: Don't hesitate to spread the word about this meeting among your heirlooms growing friends and contacts.

This Thread was posted after last yearâÂÂs Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center Seed Exchange

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/heirloom/msg0911475819657.html?6

Comments (7)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

How did it turn out, how many went? I would have loved to have gone and met ya'll in person. Any pix?

Annette

• vgary
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, Yes, it was one of the best gatherings we have had with a few over 90 serious heirloom growers. There were folks from NY,VA,TN,SC,OH,IN,GA,KY,NC.MI. Yes, several took pictures. I will try to post a link for one if I can find it. Some of our local folks took food and it was like feeding the multitudes! Food was enjoyed by all. I made six quarts of Salsa. In addition there were finger sandwiches, Salads, Baked goods of cake and pie, and other good eats. Folks who traveled long distance had spent the night before, some stayed over two nights.
    Looking forward to another great gathering next October!
    Gary

• gregster
    12 years ago

I will be sure to save this information and look forward to visiting and maybe even participating in this event next year. It will be here here again before you know it!

• vgary
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg, Sure would be good having you join us next October at the Kentucky Seed Swap!
    Dr. Bill Best hosts this group at the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center Inc.
    www.heirlooms.org/
    Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center Berea, Kentucky.
    Gary
    Louisville, Kentucky

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Annette,
    Here's a link to my pics. I would of taken more pics, but my I ran out of space on my camera. I forgot to erase the old pics before I left.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Berea, KY Photos

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pix Remy, your room at the inn oozed charm and I bet a great time was had by all. I would've loved to have been able to attend, meet you all in person but it's a no can do for me. Looks like a lot of seed changed hands, on second thought it's a good job I couldn't come, I'd have been like a kid in a candy store, all those heirloom seeds beckoning to me. Heck I'd be chucking the clothes they're replaceable, the suitcase is needed for more important things :).

Annette

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the pics Annette. Yes, you would of loved it. It is too bad you are about as far away as you could be from it!
    Remy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!