Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early melons and watermelons

Posted by Raymondo Armidale, NSW (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 6:01

Hello,
I'm after suggestions for short season melons and watermelons. I've been through the list at Baker Creek but they don't list maturity for all their varieties, only some.
Many thanks,
Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early melons and watermelons

If you're talking heirlooms, my favorite short season watermelon is Sugar Baby, about 75 days. It's about 5 lbs or less. My favorite watermelon is a hybrid, though, and it's Yellow Doll. It's maybe a few days less and the the same size, is yellow flesh and striped exterior. It's sweet and juicy, and finer grained than Sugar Baby.

Some short season muskmelons that I've liked are Minnesota Midget (65 days). My favorite short season OP muskmelon is Haogen, 70 days. It's a softer fleshed melon with a pineapple like aroma but sometimes inconsistent in its taste. When it's great, it's great, though. It's green and gold and no netting. Passport hybrid receives mixed results, but it does very well in my cooler climate. It's a Galia type which is also green fleshed, very sweet and juicy, and about 72-75 days. Another favorite is charentais and all of its relatives (Vedrantias, etc) and while closer to 80 days to maturity, it's worth the wait. Last is my favorite short season, easy to grow hybrid, Butterscotch Sweetie. It's 70 days to maturity, no netting and looks like a teenie Honeydew. It's flesh is green and orange swirled with a slightly butterscotch taste. If you look at some of the other threads about melons, there are others worth looking at but I haven't grown.

o
RE: Early melons and watermelons

Thanks Bill. I have seeds for the OP's you mentioned so I'll give them a try. It's more or less time to sow here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here