Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladenatxzone8

Hello : ) & Question

LaDenaTxZone8
19 years ago

I've dropped in occasionally to read and just wanted to say "hello" and to ask a question. I've grown heirloom/op varieties my whole gardening life (11 years,so I'm a baby still) but it was always mainly veggies with herbs and flowers thrown in just for fun.

Now I'm on the lookout for heirloom flowers that make good cut flowers. Right now I have zinnias and marigolds. I've already started some batchelor buttons,snapdragons,calendula,nasturtiums, and sweet peas. This is not for a business. They are to cut and take to the nursing home. Thank you ahead of time, LaDena

Comments (2)

• bill_southerncal
    19 years ago

I am not at all a flower person at all but I have been to a few nursing homes for church functions (Christmas Programs, etc). We'd bring poinsettias and bouquets of flowers for the lobby for all to enjoy. The two flowers that many of the patients liked from the bouquets were the rose-like Lisianthus (sp) that hail from the fields of Texas and the Tuberose. It has a gardenia like smell but they are small flowers on 2' stalks. Hope that helps.

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

SSE has a sister organization dedicated to heirloom flowers.

Plus, there is heirloom flower seed available through the SSE public catalog.

Check 'em both out at www.seedsavers.org.

Also, many of the heirloom veggie seed companies also sell flowers. Baker Creek comes to mind, for instance. But there are others as well.