Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Hi...looking for something new to try next year...

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I haven't visited this forum too often. I am starting to think about what to grow next year and trading seeds. I am wanting to try something besides the old standbys. I haven't grown heirlooms too much and are not familiar with too many.

I have a small vegetable and flower garden, but am interested in veggies, annuals, perennials. Maybe you could share your favorites?

I am looking for BEAUTY of plant/fruit/habit, and VIGOR and DISEASE RESISTANCE, and if they are veggies.. BEST TASTE of course...

Anyone have one of those?

:-)

Adam

Comments (7)

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

I did manage to find some photos of heirloom vegetables that I find very attractive. I posted those pictures to another thread which I link to below.

While they are all great photos from catalogs, that doesn't mean they live up to their photos. [g] I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried any of these?

Adam

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgeous Heirlooms

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Great piccies Adam. The ones I mentioned look like they do in the photos, except for Triamble, which looks very ribbed in the photo. You can see the three lobes quite clearly but the only ones I've seen have no ribbing on the lobes themselves. I guess there variations.
    Another suggestions is the leek Bleu de Solaize, from France. It might go under the name Blue Solaize or Solaize Blue. Its leaves develop a bluish-purple hue when the weather turns cold, especially when it starts to frost.
    I grew leeks surrounded tightly by parsley and the combination of foliage colour and form was fantastic.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Raymondo

Here is that leek...

I am not a leek fan, but maybe someone else here is.

Adam

• jimster
    18 years ago

Keep in mind that great preparation goes hand in hand with great ingredients. As a Northern guy exploring Southern veggies, I've had to learn a lot about how they are traditionally prepared. Otherwise, I'm sure I would miss out on the tastes for which these veggies are loved. The same goes for Italian, Mexican, Chinese and any other ethnic food. Go for authenticity.

Jim

• spyfferoni
    18 years ago

I recommend requesting some free seed catalogs and looking through them and then asking around about the ones that look interesting to you. Baker's Creek has a wonderful calalog of veggies, flowers, and herbs, and they are all open-pollinated or Heirlooms.(Its free)There are several good seed companies out there that offer tons of variety.

Spyff

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jim and Spyff..
    Guess I posted too many posts on the same topic. I confused myself..lol. I agree with you Jim, have to find out how to cook it best, to really appreciate it.

Thanks for the recommendation for Baker's Creek. I hadn't heard of them before and will check them out.

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

I don't order much from the US, but Baker Creek is one of my faves. Great selection and they've always been very reliable.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions