Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Eggplant

Posted by piercewp 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 11:16

I planted Black Beauty Eggplants this year.One of the plants is producing yellow fruit.Has anyone heard of a yellow Eggplant?
Thank you
piercewp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Eggplant

I planted Black Beauty Eggplants this year.One of the plants is producing yellow fruit.Has anyone heard of a yellow Eggplant?

Yes, I know of one yellow eggplant called Thai Yellow Egg, which , and as the name suggests,it is very small.

So the question becomes what is the size and shape of the fruits on this one plant? Same as Black Beauty should be?

And could it be a white variety? Fruits of the whites often turn a pale yellow as the fruit s age.

If from a commercial source, is it a source where they would have other eggplant varieties such that a stray seed of a white variety could have gotten into the package?

Carolyn

o

I went on a vacation to NYC a few weeks ago, and some of the eggplant that should have been picked before leaving weren't. When I returned, they were yellow and hard. So, like Carolyn said, if you have yellow Black Beauties, they've aged.

o

glad you asked--same thing happened to me

o

Did your eggplant start white, then have some pale purple, then turn yellow? I planted some organic Ferry Morse Early Long Purple that did. The package said they should turn a deep shiny purple before picking and if they got dull, you waited too long. They never got completely purple. I probably should have picked them sooner but I was waiting for them to get bigger and purple. I also had too many plants in a container and probably shouldn't have expected them to be as large before picking. They were also on an east facing apartment balcony. Maybe they needed different lighting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here