Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patzmeow

Researching Heirloom Pea

patzmeow
17 years ago

I'm looking for information and or sources on a garden pea that was grown in the Acadian area of Louisiana by Cajuns or other ethnic groups living in the area. I believe it may have been brought to the area by early settlers. I am researching this for an anthroplogy class in cultural ecology.

The pea has been called Pois de Poulet (chicken pea) or chicken foot pea. I don't believe that this is a chick pea but I'm not certain of this.

Any information or clues as to what type of pea this may be would be helpful. I'll post any further clues that I find as I get them.

Thanks.

Comment (1)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

You might want to also post this on the Beans, Peas, & Other Legumes forum, where you might pick up some insights.

Also, have you checked with the folks at the Southern Seed Legacy project at U of Georgia's anthropology department? They might know something about it as well.

I'm not familiar with that specific variety. But are you sure it's a garden pea? There were a lot of cowpeas developed in Louisiana through the years, particularly during the 19th century, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's one of them.