Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluedragonfly_gw

Heirlooms in Austin area

bluedragonfly
19 years ago

Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I posted this on the Texas forum, but thought I would post here as well. I am becoming very interested in planting heirlooms--something my family used to do frequently back in Virginia.

Does anyone have any advice on types of vegetable heirloom varieties that grow well here in the central Texas area--specifically Austin or hill country? My primary interests are vegetables.

Thanks for any tips!

Comments (8)

• botany_babe
    19 years ago

Well, I grew up in TX, but my family only grew tomatoes. There are a ton of heirloom varities of those, but I will call my Grandmother and ask her about fall gardening. She still lives in TX, not far from Austin.

• Mary_in_pnw
    19 years ago

I would also post this in the tomato forum. Most of the discussion there is about heirloom tomatoes. You could ask about heirloom tomatoes and any other heirlooms popular in Texas. There are some very active Texas growers who post there, although I have not seen much from some of them lately. But I think it well worth trying. Also the vegetable forum.

Good seed hunting and growing to you.

Mary

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Growth of heirloom vegetable varieties is no different from non-heirloom varieties , so I think the question for you is what vegetables and of those, which kinds and varieties grow well where you live.

And in Austin that also means timing of planting, whether Spring or Fall.

So if you already know what general veggies grow well where you are, then it's just a matter of choosing the ones that are heirloom varieties and buying seeds/plants for those.

If you don't know, then as Mary said, ask in the Vegetable Forum and in the Tomato Forum and if I were you I'd also c ontact your local Coop Ext agent for advice if folks in the TX Forum or the other forums aren't that much help. And as Mary said, postings are down this time of the year re gardens, so please keep that in mind as well.

So, the question is which veggies for what time of year, then choose some heirloom varieties of those veggies.

Carolyn

• LaDenaTxZone8
    19 years ago

Hey,Blue,I'm not too far from you in Schulenburg. I think it's about an hour,hour and a half. Anyhow,I grew several varieties of Heirloom/OP tomatoes this year. I grew Siletz,Homestead,Green Grape,Gold Nugget,Principe Borghese and one other that I don't remember. Oh,Early Wonder. I actually work for Cindy Meredith over at the Herb Cottage in Hallettsville and we grow Heirloom/OP tomatoes and peppers,along with other things,so I had a wide variety to choose from. I chose the above because they were all determinate,except the Green Grape maybe. It may just be a smaller indeterminate. They were all really good. I will say about Gold Nugget that it is very prolific. Happy Gardening,LaDena

• bluedragonfly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi LaDena,

Thanks for the info on the tomato varieties. One weekend I may have to visit your area and the Herb Cottage.

BlueD

• CentralTX
    19 years ago

I've been growing Green Zebra tomatoes here in Belton. There is some argument on if they are really an heirloom or not, but I really don't care. They grow like crazy and produce fairly well. I could send you some seeds if you like. The main problem is that they are indeterminant and can really cover the area if you let them. The tomato cages you can buy don't stand a chance with these vines. I built a bamboo cage for them this year, its 6 foot tall and the vines got to the top and then draped back down to the ground. They are still producing today.

• theaustinite
    18 years ago

I'm currently growing Moon and Stars watermelon, Turkish Gold Eggplants, Charentais Canteloupe, 2 different types of heirloom corn, and sugar pumpkins... they are all doing very well out in the hill country around Austin. It's my first time witha vegetable garden, and it's very over grown, but LOTS of fun! Here's my blog about it!

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

I have no heirlooms but this is my first season to garden here and I am so hoping to get some for fall planting and for next season. Please guys, save seed to share. I haven't found even a single package of heirloom seed and since I haven't had anything to trade I have been to embarassed to just ask for seeds...just decided to be bold and brave and do it...Pleaseeeeeeeee save some seeds...

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists