Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

saving clemson spineless okra seeds?

sandy0225
18 years ago

I had several pods that I let get too big, I've let them dry, and the seeds look good. But I also have rose of sharon bushes and hibiscus plants, will these cross and make some kind of a bad okra hybrid thing for next year? or will I end up with just okra like I planted this year? Because the okra was great this year, and I want the same thing next year.

Comments (7)

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, for anyone who might be interested, unless you grow the annual hibiscus, the seeds should be ok to save per the hibiscus forum. I'm glad to find out.....

• disgett
    18 years ago

The Clemson Spineless seed should be fine. But the pod should have been completely mature before you picked to dry. I have alot of Clemson Spineless as well as cow horn/Texas Longhorn okra seed to trade. Dale Florence SC

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you for the follow up. I waited until the seed pods were brown dry and cracking open in places. Now I have plenty of okra seed to plant next year.
    I've never seen it do so well here as this summer. The plants got to be over 9 feet tall, and loaded. I guess because we put a dump truck load of my sister's horse manure on the garden and it was hotter/drier than usual here.

• nelsonturner
    11 years ago

I've Clemson spineless okra pods that are large and green and I want to save the seed. I need to pull the plants so I can ready the raised bed to transplant onions starting this Friday. I've opened a pod and removed the seed and left them to dry. I will test sow in about six weeks. Can I cut off the remaining pods and let them dry? I live in the northern part of the San Joaquin valley in California.

• mrdoitall
    11 years ago

If your okra gets that tall you need to space it out more. I plant my okra 3 feet apart. They grow with 6 to 8 or more growing tips that way. You will get a lot more okra this way. If you plant it 1 feet or less it will grow real tall. What it doing is growing taller to get the light. 3 feet is the least I space my plants 5 feet is much better. Give it a try. I used to plant it 1 foot apart till this old farmer told me to try 3 to 5 feet. Wow what a difference.

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Okra does best overall if planted in the range of 18 inches to 36 inches between hills. This is variety dependent, some short varieties do better at close spacing while others like Cowhorn do better if further apart. Put 5 to 8 seed per hill and thin to 2 or 3 plants once it is 6 inches or more tall. The reason for planting more seed than needed is so soil crusting won't prevent the seed from emerging and so the final stand of plants will be large enough to do some selecting.

If you want to save seed from plants that do not yet have mature pods, pull the entire plant and store it somewhere cool and dry. The plant will continue to mature the pods for several days which will improve germination of the seed. This only works if the pods are nearly mature to start with.

DarJones

• reyna1
    11 years ago

If anyone needs Clemson spineless #80 seeds, message me. I have a lot I saved.
    Danny

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm