Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_mi

looking for heirloom cockscomb

patricia_mi
18 years ago

Hi,

I have been looking for the heirloom cockscomb "GRAMMA used to grow." It has the large wavy heads, dark red. Is there someone here who has acutally grown them? I keep on getting the seeds but only come up with small tiny "pain brush flowers." If you have not grown any yourself, would you be able to provide a reputable place for me to try>

Thank You,

patricia

Comments (4)

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Try the Monticello website. They sell authentic seeds of historic plants and I have seen lots of heirloom cockscomb in the gardens there. Thomas Jefferson grew it. Good luck!

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I just looked. They have it under its botanical name, Celosia cristata, along with a nice photo and some historical info.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Pat, if you will email me your address, I'll send you some seeds. The heads are up to about 12 inches or so across, and the stem is flat and about 3 inches wide. They are a dark reddish maroon color. Does that sound like them?

Sue

• juntawillow - Z5 Chi
    13 years ago

I am looking for these as well. The ones that I used to have were gigantic. Any idea where I can get some seeds for large ones?