Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_tracker

Veg Varieties for rookie in Alabama

Howdy everybody. I'm just getting a small, raised bed garden started and I'm hoping to get some fall/winter crops growing before too long.

I'm interested in growing open-pollinated Heirloom vegetables and evenutally creating my own garden-adapted varieties. I could really use some help in figuring out which varieties of open-pollinated Heirloom vegetables to plan on planting this spring and maybe even this fall/winter in my area.

Here's the pertinent info on my garden: ZONE-8, South Central Alabama - south of Montgomery, heavily amended sandy soil, sunny location, two 4x8 framed raised beds.

Below is a list of vegetables that we're interested in growing...any input on OP/Heirloom varieties of any or all of these vegetables that grow good in our area would be greatly appreciated!

Vegetable List:

Broccoli

Cantalope/Muskmelon

Carrots

Cucumbers

Eggplant

Kale

Lettuce

Okra

Onion

Potatoe

Spinach

Squash

Sugar Peas

Tomato

Turnips

Watermelon

Thanks,

Ed

Comments (2)

• gonefishin
    17 years ago

Hi dirt tracker, I am not in Alabama, but Texas, and our zones are probably somewhat similar. Someone suggested that I might drop in over here and see if I had any suggestions for you. I see you on either the Veg. gardening or Soil forum.

Most of the seed companies like Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, have information about whether or not their seeds are of heirloom or hybrid varieties. Of course the heirlooms are favored in the many postings on the Tomato forum. I will also link Seeds of Change below, which is good too.

It is not too hard to find heirlooms in things like black eyed peas, watermellons, canteloupes etc. I had good luck with a Tom Watson variety of watermellon this year, it has been around since back prior to 1900. If you can not find any seed anywhere else, I could send you a few when I get some of my medical problems behind me.

White Velvet Okra is an heirloom also and does well for me, there is also a Lousiana white velvet and many more.

I have good success with Florida Broadleaf Mustard Greens and Purple top turnips also.

Good luck with your gardening plan, I hope that it is a huge success for you.
    Bill P.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds of Change

• tod65
    17 years ago

I GROW ONLY HEIRLOOM VEGETABLES AND I LIVE IN ZONE 8 (NORTHERN CALIFORNIA) TAKE A LOOK AT MY LIST ANT LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN.IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO TRADE I WILL BE HAPPY TO SEND YOU A ASSORTMENT OF MY SEEDS FOR A SASBE.

TOD
    SEED TO SEED GARDENS

Here is a link that might be useful: SEED TO SEED GARDENS

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH