Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clare2008

Montreal Melons~ when to harvest??

clare2008
14 years ago

Hola!! I have some beautiful Montreal Melons and I wonder if they are ripe??

How do I tell when to harvest them? They aren't as big as I had thought they would get but I am not complaining...

Help required to satisfy knowledge and tastbuds. Thanks

Comments (3)

• rodger
    14 years ago

I am not familiar with the variety montreal melon but wanted to answer your question on when it is ripe. There are two types of melons , true melons and muskmelons. If it is a muskmelon the outside rind will turn from green to yellow and the stem will seperate from the vine or do what is called "slip". If it is a true melon like European type melons and watermelons or casaba melons, honeydew etc the way to tell if ripe is by the tendril at the leaf where the stem from the melon attaches. When this tendril or pigtail or curly cue turns brown the melon is ripe. Experience with a certain melon type will help, some are at their peak when the tendril dries but still has some green , maybe a 1/4inch at the best left, others are at their peak when the tendril is fullty dried. Best bet check for days till maturity on the seed package if it says 90 days at 80 start checking melons every couple of days when tendril nearly fully dried ie 1/4inch still green harvest one and see how it is. if it was hollow and soft it is over ripe then harvest the others a little earlier. If it is very firm not very sweet and has a large area of the rind not ripe then it was under ripe so wait till the tendril is fully dried. If good and sweet and juicy you gaged just right. Muskmelons will continue to ripen after picked so can be picked when just starting to turn yellow and will ripen of the next couple of days. Muskmelons have a very short shelf life only a few days till they begin to go bad. True melons and watermelons once picked will not ripen any further but will only rot. But true melons and watemelons have a long shelf life up to several weeks in a cool place out of direct sun. Rodger

• clare2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the info regarding melons. Very Helpful!!
    The Montreal Melon is, as far as I know, a musk melon type.
    Cheers.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Is there an online source for buying Montreal Melon seed in Canada?

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions