Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dabbler_wmn

Is liriope an heirloom?

dabbler_wmn
9 years ago

Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for the answer. Liriope originated in Asia but appears to have been in the U.S. for a long time (can't find history of introduction). It spreads via rhizomes (roots?!) and does not pollinate or develop seeds. So the "open pollination" criteria does not fit. I have found several articles that note findings of liriope in the wild in selected spots in the SE states of U.S. They appear to have been spread from placed plants and then somehow appeared nearby in woods, etc.
Age of existence is not in question. But I have not found any definition that includes spread by rhizomes. All heirloom definitions refer to seeds--at least those I found. Friend wants to know for a heirloom garden. Obviously would not want to use it if it is truly not considered heirloom. I appreciate any response. I have googled lots and lots so I may be the first to even wonder about this!

Comments (2)

• dabbler_wmn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like this forum is inactive. I just saw that the last post seems to have been in 2007! Maybe it should be removed if no one is using it anymore.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Liriope does indeed produce seeds. So open pollinated could fit. And an heirloom doesn't have to just spread by seeds. There are many types of heirloom potatoes that are propagated by tubers, not seeds. There are heirloom fruits and roses that are propagated by grafting and cuttings, not by seeds. But whether liriope is open pollinated and/or an heirloom would depend on the particular variety.

And yes, this forum is almost inactive but the last post that was here wasn't from 2007. That particular one was started in 2007 but was last commented on September 15, 2014. There is a lot of good information here that one can search for that would be lost if this forum were to disappear or be shut down/removed.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Rodney

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor