Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdurbanfarm

Need names of very productive OP/heirloom varieties

sdurbanfarm
13 years ago

Hey Guys!

We're doing an Urban Farm - and I mean one that will generate all the food necessary for the members - ALL of it.

We have very limited space as this project is focused on a fairly urban area (we are trying to make a point about cities producing their own food IN the actual cities and how it can be more easily done without pesticides in this way.

We're starting 1 January 2011 (San Diego) and I'd love to have people make suggestions about some very prolific vegetables (and even fruit) that is open-pollinated/heirloom. Would love ppl to list their most productive varieties!

Thanks for your help!

Ellie

Comments (3)

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Grief Ellie, you are asking for a lot. Most people here have no idea the climate in San Diego or of the viable crops. Not to mention that there are about 5 different microclimates.

Here are a few for you to carefully consider.
    tomato:
    Bloody Butcher - good flavored early red golf ball size.
    Eva Purple Ball - Not so good flavor sliced but makes good juice and is very productive.
    Big Beef - Arguably the best overall hybrid indeterminate tomato available today.

Onion - SuperStar

carrot - bolero

DarJones

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Watermelon; Sweet Mountain Yellow; exactly as advertised; sweetest melon I've ever grown.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Just did a post on Sweet Mountain Yellow yesterday, as a matter of fact; see below:

Here is a link that might be useful: SMY post on Garden Musings Blog

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County