Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Best heirloom melons (for Mid-Atlantic)

oath5
14 years ago

Hi all, I was wondering if people could share some input on the best type of heirloom melon varieties from watermelon to musk to cantaloupe and everything in between that would grow well in the Mid-Atlantic region, Maryland in particular. We grow cantaloupes quite well here, but to make some extra cash on the side next summer (I'm 20) I was thinking of planting all sorts of melons and pumpkins/squash among other vegetables and selling them either by the side of the road or sign up to have a booth at a farmer's market along with fresh cut flowers since we have a large flower garden and I'm planning mass plantings of corn poppies and mexican hat flowers.

I've been looking on ebay and other websites for seeds and so far have bought an old strain of plum grannies since I've never seen them before, and since I can just grow them up a fence. I'm looking for stuff that is reasonably easy, this summer was way wet for the fruit this year but I always have heat tolerance on the mind and am weary of some varieties that mention northern Japan or northern France since those climates might not be as humid and hot as here in Maryland during the summer (usually).

If anybody could recommend some great varieties that aren't too hard to grow yet really no one sees much but are delicious, unusual and would sell at market, I'd much appreciate it. I have a lot to plan out and I'd like to get a good stock going to be able to sell and share with people the merits (taste) of heirloom stock.

Thanks!

Max

Comments (2)

• sowbusy7nc
    14 years ago

I would suggest Schoons Hardshell which is an heirloom market variety of melon. Google Schoons Hardshell and you will get many places that sell the seed.
    Glenn

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

There are quite a few open pollinated market melons. Whether they fit your definition of "heirloom" is up to you. In general, they are not popular in todays market as the the more uniform and usually tastier hybrids. If you are really interested in an heirloom, I would suggest Anne Arundel, which is a 19th century Baltimore market cantaloupe. http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/melon.html
    Other options may be Canoe Creek, Old West Virginia, Early Hanover, Tip Top, Kansas
    Among the more modern open pollinated melons, Honey Rock, Rocky Ford, Iroquois, and Hales Best are the better ones in my opinion. Edisto ( released by Clemson) is not bad.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert