Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Watermellon' radish

Posted by dvdgzmn z10 SF CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 0:19

Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks like a turnip, 3-4 inch diameter, redish-purple flesh, mild radish flavor. Would like to grow some, but can't find seeds online. Can anybody help? Maybe it has another name?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Watermellon' radish

1. try spelling watermelon correctly.
2. try using google.
I found them in 3 seconds.

o

Thanks. I've never encountered such a combination of wisdom and courtesy.

o

It looks like a great radish. I've never had any luck growing radishes here in Winnipeg - it gets too hot too quickly. I've tried mustard too - same problem. Joe

o

The radish is a great taste treat because all the heat is in the peel and underlying white tissue. The "watermelon" pink to red center is sweet, reminiscent of watermelon.

The radish has several names, depending upon the seed company selling this Asian radish. Some call it Red Heart for example. Among those that sell seed are Johnny's Selected Seed and Pinetree Seed.

The tops are good edible greens too.

o

Botanical Interests offers them so if you know a nursery that carries that line you might find them there. They are called Watermelon Mantang Hong, it's a Chinese winter radish. Rahanus sativus is the botanical name.

o

• Posted by fred_d SW GALXESTON (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 15:55

Has anyone eaten the leaves?

o

Yes they are very similar to turnips greens, but even better than turnip roots when cooked in the same manner. The red and green is both tasty and attractive.This is an early maturing winter radish that will make in the spring. Grows better as a late summer fall planting tho.
Watermelon 1 photo watermelonradish2-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here