Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avergara13

Heirloom Tomato Plants

avergara13
14 years ago

I want to begin growing Heirloom tomatoes but I need a little help finding a plant in Florida. I would rather get a plant that is ready to transport than to grow from seed. I feel im not that well schooled just yet. Im in Orlando, fl and would like to know if anyone has knowledge on where I can purchase some nice varieties locally. Any information would help. Thanks

Comments (4)

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Grow them from seed!! I'll talk you through it! Send me an email if you want lesson one :-D

• wiringman
    14 years ago

what jessica said. the rewards are greater when you baby them the whole way.

also you choice is much greater.

Dean

• misterbaby
    14 years ago

Hi, Avergara! You have at least a couple of good choices. First, as others have said, you can start your plants from seed. Given that you're in the south, you can either grow seedlings for transplant, or direct seed, or both. I actually prefer the results of direct seeding, but always try to grow seedlings when I get the February Fever. Another option is to mail order tomato seedlings. There are some nice choices out there from places like Totally Tomatoes. Good Luck. Misterbaby

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

Rather than continue the 'grow your own' sentiment, I will try to answer your question as is. I am not aware of any local growers of heirloom tomato plants in your area. You can order plants online from several locations. Just do a google search for 'heirloom tomato plants' and you will get dozens of hits several of which sell plants even this late in the season. Just so I am up front, one of the websites you will find is my own.

Now the other news is that you have to be careful which varieties you grow. Orlando is noted for some reasonably decent soil, but still heavily sandy. Your climate also includes a good bit of seriously cool weather from a tomatoe's viewpoint. Anything below 60 degrees makes a tomato plant unhappy. Here are some varieties to consider for your area.

red brandywine
    Black From Tula
    Lyuda's Mom's Red Ukraine
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Heidi
    Bloody Butcher
    Cherokee Purple
    Eva Purple Ball
    Taps PL
    Dr. Carolyn Pink
    Black Cherry
    Sungold

Sungold is a hybrid, but it is in a class of its own flavorwise. The bottom three varieties are cherries and should all do well in your climate. Bloody Butcher is a golf ball size very early tomato that would be a good choice as an early starter. Heidi is a very good determinate paste but only recommended if you want to make salsa or have other paste/sauce type uses. The rest give a variety of colors and sizes but all with excellent flavor.

DarJones

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?