Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boca_joe

Heirloom Orange Poppy

Help!

I finally got these beauties from a kind garden webber a few years ago, but never got the name of the variety. Does anyone know?

These are the pure "orange popsicle" poppies, fully double with black centers. I have only seen them at old farm houses, older homes etc. They are perennial as well as free seeding.

here is a photo link...

thanks

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's Garden Photos

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

fully double with black centers. I have only seen them at old farm houses, older homes etc. They are perennial as well as free seeding.

Boca,

The heirloom orange poppies that I know are single petalled, not doubles, so you can see the typical large black mark on each petal very clearly as one can on almost all Orental type poppies.

We had them at the old farmhouse and others in the area had them as well.

What you show looks something like the double variety Prince of Orange.

The single petalled heirloom ones don't have a name as far as I know.

Ours were brought from Sweden by family in the late 1800's, but as I said, others I know had them as well and I suppose most of them arrived here with the major immigration waves from Europe since Oriental poppies are not native to the US.

carolyn

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks, but I checked GOOGLE and thge Prince of Orange is an ORIENTAL poppy, completely different flower and leaves. This one has much different leaves and flower form...

hmmmm

Boca Joe

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

and thge Prince of Orange is an ORIENTAL poppy, completely different flower and leaves. This one has much different leaves and flower form...

Yes, Prince of Orange is an Oriental poppy; its' the Oriental poppies that are true perennials, as a class of poppy. And the Prince of Orange is a double orange, just as the picture you showed.

I'm not saying yours IS Prince of Orange, I used the owrds "similar to" above, but I used that as an example to point out the difference between a double and a single petalled flower that was orange.

The Papaver somniferums can be slightly perennial and have very different light colored foliage with large leaves, but the regular old heirloom orange ones are typical Oriental types with typical dark green jagged foliage as opposed to somniferums which have light colored much larger leaves, often referred to as lettuce leaves.

Is yours a P. somniferum with that lighter colored foliage with larger leaves which are very different from the typical Oriental poppy foliage?

Carolyn

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's a lighter green, hairy (like the orientals) but much smaller and longer. I have p. somniferum and it's not even close to that foliage.
    these look just like a double form of the old heirloom poppies. It's definetly a true perennial, retunring from the same green crown each year.

• mistercross
    19 years ago

Hey! Somebody should have mentioned that the photo page re-programs the "Back" button on the web browser so you can't come back to this page easily. You will keep going back to the photo page.

• flowergirl06
    17 years ago

I just emailed a note to you, Bocco Joe.

I have these gorgeous orange poppies blooming now.
    I would love to send you a picture but do not have your email address.

Anyone that wants to see a picture of my BLOOMING orange heirloom poppies can email me at flowergirl05@yahoo.com.
    Today's date is May 21, 2006.

I see a copy of this will be mailed to you, so you will have two emails from me....all with different email addresses. LOL. You can reply to me at any of the three addresses.

Janie

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler