Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winnjoe

melons in Manitoba

winnjoe
19 years ago

I planted a dozen plants Petits gris de Rennes at Gerard's place. Pure gumbo, no drainage, hills didn't help. 2 or 3 fruit the size of golf balls. I planted a dozen hills of Petit gris de Rennes at Maureen's place. Sandy, lots of horse manure, didn't produce anything. That's where I was going to get seed to share (lots of distance). At school (the spot I used last year) I planted a hill of Eden Gem, a hill of Charentais, and a hill of Petit gris de Renned. I picked one Charentais, about 4" diametre, last week before the -4C frost. This morning my office smelled like a melon, so we opened it and ate it. It was fabulous. I figured if that poor fellow was able to produce with the misery we had this summer, it's got to be good to keep! Unfortunately with the three types in such close proximity who knows what it will produce, but I'll give it a try. It was very juicy (all our rain) but very sweet (the cold weather kept the fruit from getting too big). I have about a dozen the size of a tennis ball of the three types. I'll see if they ripen in my office. I haven't seen any melons or watermelons at the markets. Joe, Winnipeg

Comment (1)

• douglas14
    19 years ago

Joe,
    Melons didn't do too well here either.
    Just one of those years, I guess.
    Next year I'll likely put somthing under my melons, because this season, I had a lot of trouble with insects/worms eating on the melons, where they were in contact with the ground.
    I have lost a little of my melon enthusiasm, due to this poor year. Next year I'm planning on growing about 3-4 melon varieties, as opposed to the 15 I grew this year.
    I still believe that melons are one of the tastiest things you can grow in the garden.
    Maybe next year will be fine melon weather(we can hope).

Douglas