Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadiantomato

Stumbled onto this curious site

canadiantomato
19 years ago

while trying to locate sources for OP/heritage grains other than SSE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds

Comments (9)

• canadiantomato
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I forgot to add that I am hoping someone here will be able to help me with that search. (Plus I thought that I was still on the tomato forum :>)

Thanks,
    Jennifer

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Since Jennifer posted this in the tomato forum as well, and I assumed she was posting about tomato seed I answered as follows, but noting here she was after OP grains:

Jennifer,
    As I looked at the format, blurbs and prices in that tomato list at Jim's it looked awfully familiar to me.

So I went to Rachel's, which has been online forever, and sure enough they are one and the same.

I guess this couple are called Jim and Rachel and both with their own websites, which are vitually identical. They ar e resellers of seeds purchased elsewhere, as you can see by all the hybrids offered.

Carolyn, who notes they list my book at the bottom of each website tomato list and still don't get the name for Eva Purple Ball correct. LOL They use the wrong one that Linda at TGS used until I called her attention to it. (smile)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's = Jim's

Carolyn, who will now think about sources for OP grains. Anything specific you have in mind Jennifer?

• canadiantomato
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The gifter of my land grows spelt, buckwheat, wheat, oats and barley. We're both interested in trying some heritage OP varieties of those grains as well as corn. To Glenn for corn most likely, but the bread basket is drier for the rest. Jim Ternier (in Sask.) has limited supplies of quite a bit, including some rare black and blue wheats, but most of it is not catalogued or otherwise available at present.

Ta for any help!
    Jennifer

• enyardreems
    19 years ago

Jennifer,
    Have you looked at Seeds of Change?

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds of Change

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

The gifter of my land grows spelt, buckwheat, wheat, oats and barley. We're both interested in trying some heritage OP varieties of those grains

jennifer,

Have you gotten your SSE Yearbook yet?

When you do you'll see at least 15 different spelts, black, blue, red and amber wheats and all else that you asked about.

With the huge variety offered there I don 't know why you'd want to go elsewhere.

However, available just in starter amounts, not bulk, as you know. I suppose if you read thru the blurbs some folks write next to their name at the front of the book you may find some who are willing to send bulk amounts.

Carolyn

• canadiantomato
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for Seeds of Change link. I was familiar with their offerings, but it's nice to be reminded.

Carolyn,

Thanks for the info. However, finding a source for seed has become secondary at right now.

This attempt to 'gift' my benefactor has morphed into something beyond my wildest imagination. I'm now looking at establishing a seeds trust in conjunction with a national farmers' organization in an attempt to stave off a similar situation to that in the UK and EU re petigreeing crops. Am becoming a policital activist in agriculture--a new one even for me!

It's messy here and going to get worse if we don't stop the current industry-driven Seed Sector Review from forcing all--including heritage/heirloom/government-bred with public money--named varieties to be fully locked into the expensive petigree system in order to be sold commercially. Cereal/forage crops and potatoes for now, but vegetables and fruits are being eyed. And get this--national seed associations (you know, the ones contracted out by our government to do the 'quality assurance' inspections and certifications) have declared publicly that farmers have not and never have had the right to save their own seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cursary overview and the tip of the iceberg...I can only see finding out about the review before finalization as a sign that seeds trust development was meant to be and may have a chance to help farming families stay economically alive and on the farm (fingers, toes and eyes crossed!).

Jennifer, on a very major rant and racking up phone charges to Ottawa

• jimster
    19 years ago

Scary. This is an area in which the U.S. lags behind Canada a bit. But there are plenty of folks here who are in favor of government running wild. These sorts of movements get started quietly and build a lot of momentum before many of us realize what's happening.

This topic is deserving of its own forum, or at least a thread.

Jim

• winnjoe
    19 years ago

Jennifer, have you posted more details of this on the Gardening in Canada site? I would appreciate more info.
    Joe, Winnipeg

• grungy
    19 years ago

Hi Jennifer could you please send me some more information on the the current industry-driven Seed Sector Review from forcing all--including heritage/heirloom/government-bred with public money--named varieties to be fully locked into the expensive petigree system in order to be sold commercially. Cereal/forage crops and potatoes for now, but vegetables and fruits are being eyed. And get this--national seed associations (you know, the ones contracted out by our government to do the 'quality assurance' inspections and certifications) have declared publicly that farmers have not and never have had the right to save their own seed?
    Thanks, Val

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting