Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappybob

Heirloom Tomato Seeds

snappybob
18 years ago

I would like to try my hand at growing some Heirloom tomatoes from seed. I have never grown heirloom tomatoes and all of my other tomato growing experience has been with transplants. Anybody have any suggestions of where I can get some seeds? I did a goggle search and found a couple of million seed outlets. Does anybody have any favorites or non-favorites? I'd like to try some Branywines first.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Bob,

First, I'd suggest that you go to the main Growing Tomatoes Forum, link at the top of this page, b'c that's where heirloom tomatoes are discussed most of the time, not here.

Second, here are some tomato seed sources I can recommend to someone just starting out b/c prices are reasonsable, service is good, seed germination is good and they have a good reputatiuon for sending correct varieties.

When dealing with non-hybrid seed there is no place that can guarantee pure seed all the time.

Tomato Growers Supply Co
    Heirloomseeds ( the one in PA)
    Sandhill Preservation
    Seed Savers Exchange ( public catalog)

You can find all of them via Google; TGS and SSE have pictures as well.

Just with those four sources there are almost 1000 varieties listed.

I wouldn't suggest Brandywine in TX for a new grower. It's often quite fussy and is sensitive to high heat and often has pollination problems. Not all have problems but many do.

Red Brandywine and OTV Brandywine, both red, should do much better for you.

You might wish to start a thread in the Growing tomatoes Forum and ask for suggestions since there are quite a few TX growers who post there.

Carolyn

• snappybob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, I'll check out your sources and post on the other forum as you suggested.

• lisart
    18 years ago

Hello Bob,
    I am a native Texan(Houston area)transplanted way up here in DE and I just started growing heirloom tomatoes this year. I have plenty of seeds that I would be willing to send to you. I have some Red Brandywine, Rutgers Select, Black Plum and Principe Borghese that I think would grow very nicely for you in TX. We grew most of these varieties here in Lower DE this year, and had some weather that was very reminiscent of TX summers! All except the Red Brandywine's were saved from tomatoes we grew in our garden this year. I have loads of these seeds to share and smaller amounts of other heirlooms I've recieved from trades and will be growing next year. Please let me know if you'd be interested.
    LisaRT

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?