Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxhillfiddler

Looking for my old sunflowers

foxhillfiddler
9 years ago

When I moved to Roanoke, Virginia from the coast I failed to bring seeds from one of my favorite sunflower plants. Now I have been scouring the web for 8 years and can't find this sunflower, Hope someone can help me.
Plants are easily 6 feet tall, some as tall as 10 feet, and from 2-5 feet wide. Plants have many branches, and each plant can have 100s of flowers. Flowers are bright yellow, about 4 inches across, single, with small (~ 1/4" x 1/7") black seeds. Leaves are dull green, a little fuzzy. I originally ordered the seeds from an heirloom seed company out of Texas, and thought they were called silver queen. The only "queen" I can find now is lemon queen. Hope someone can help!

Comments (2)

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Maybe if you Google "Texas Heirloom Seed Company"? That might help you find something. Could a former neighbor find a few seeds on the grounds of your old house and mail them?

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Seed Savers Exchange is a huge group of gardeners who's goal is to preserve the diversity of garden varieties of flowers, vegetables, fruits, etc. they publish a huge catalogue of all the varieties their members are growing, with descriptions. Unfortunately, the number of varieties is too large to allow for photographs. But, I would try to get I touch with someone there who is into sunflowers.

Martha