Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremyjs_gw

wild strawberry with 5 leaves?

jeremyjs
15 years ago

Hi all. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I went to a wild strawberry patch near my parents farm, dug up 6 strawberry plants and am attempting to propagate them in my basement under flourescent lights. The plan is to have a lot of wild strawberries ready to plant this spring. I mostoy just want them as a durable and cold hardy ground cover, but I'm sure I'll have to sample thier berries every now and then. The berries are small, but with the best tasting berries I've ever eaten. I'm 100% sure that these are strawberries. This patch has been there longer than I've been alive and when I was about 10 y/o I helped my mom transplant some into her garden. Several years later she tilled them under; because she got tired of picking the awesome tasting, but very small berries. She still has some jam from there and boy is it good.

Anyway to my main question. They're rally starting to take off and a couple plants have already split, but some of the new growth has 5 leaves. The 3 main leaves and a couple very small leaves a little further down the stem about the size of a grain of rice. Am I doing something wrong; because I've never seen a strawberry plant with 5 leaves. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe not enough light, but for too little light they sure do seem to be thriving.

Comments (3)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

It could be cinquefoil or you may have it mixed in with your strawberry plants. Cinquefoil is an edible perennial herb. They look very similar to strawberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinquefoil / Potentilla

• jeremyjs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure that's not it. They look a bit different and I'm 99.9% positive these are strawberries. The think is the extra leaves are only on the new growth.

• Sheila Matheny
    4 years ago

Strawberry?