Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interested in experimenting?

Posted by Nica_boy SW Nicaragua (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 04 at 2:14

I live in Nicaragua and was wondering if any of you would like to see how your heirlooms would do here. We have a growing season year round as the tempature "drops" to 85 degrees in the "winter" (read: drier season.) and only gets to 95 in the wet season. I have experience growing regular tomatoes in the states and would now like to see if and which heirlooms would do well here. Any and all responses are welcome and appreciated.
Jeremy Meeks
San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interested in experimenting?

Jeremy,

I'm not interested in seeing how my heirloom tomato varieties might do in your area, but a couple of questions for you.

If the night temps don't drop below 70F and the humidity is that high during the wet season, then it's going to be difficult to get any kind of good fruit production. Fruits don't set well with night temps a bove 70 and hugh humidity causes pollen clumping which reduces pollen viability/

The temp range you give is not that bad at all, it's the night temps and the humidity that might cause problems.

What tomato vareties are grown in your area? And with good success?

Carolyn

o
RE: Interested in experimenting?

I grew some beans from Nicaraugua here in TN and they did fine. I'd guess that you might want some of our more disease resistant varieties. How are the nematodes there? My folks have so much trouble with them in Florida, lots of things perfect for the climate won't grow there, like figs for instance. Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here