Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpdchef

old school strawberry question-Fairfax

jpdchef
18 years ago

About six months ago,I requested some material from the usda people in corvallis. They sent the mint I wanted pretty quickly.(and it's doing fine)However,the fragaria I requested arrived yesterday-and I'm not sure what to do.We've already had a couple frost/freezes,so I don't know if planting outside would be good.Should I try planting them like a houseplant? Or perhaps they'd store till spring in the fridge? The box contained a couple roots with a few leaves attached.Variety is Fairfax,if that matters.Thanks,John

Comments (5)

• mistercross
    18 years ago

Most links I found on the topic talked about overwintering established plants rather than what you have.

Most said that if started outside in the fall it should be early enough for them to become established before the first freeze. However, there was one page that claimed it could be done.

Here is a page that discusses overwintering plants in containers, including strawberries.

My biggest concern about plant storage in the refrigerator would be exposure to mold from food going bad. The humidity might be too high, too.

Here is a PDF Document that suggests covering roots and storing in an unheated garage or basement.

• maryinpnw
    18 years ago

I live about an hour's drive south of Corvallis. We overwinter strawberries without a problem. (There are lots of strawberry farms here.) It rarely freezes during the fall and winter. Some days we will have highs in the 30s-40s and lows at night in 30s-40s. Highs can get up into the 50s-60s sometimes. Rain is common too this time of year, although I understand that parts of the east coast get more rain than we do. Soil conditions are often clayey.

I suspect you can plant without a problem right into your garden, but if need be, I would look in the (county) government section of your phone book for the "Extension Service." May also be listed as Cooperative Extension Service or Agricultural Extension Service. Tell them you have a question about when to plant strawberries. They may transfer your question to a group of folks called the "Master Gardeners." This service is free, or perhaps I should say you paid for it with your taxes.

I also have some Tristars growing in gallon containers without a problem. They have been there for several years at least.

Some Extension Services and Master Gardeners are great. Mine are. I call them during the season whenever I have a problem. Some are not as good. If yours are good, they can be worth their weight in gold to a gardener.

You could also check with your favorite garden store. Emphasis on garden store. I take all kinds of questions to my favorite local garden store. They are great!

I have not grown Fairfax. Most farmers and home gardeners here seem to grow two-three varieties bred for this area. Luckily they are delicious. I wonder where Fairfax was bred and grown originally?

All the best.

Mary, hankering for a few strawberries right now...mmmm

• jimster
    18 years ago

"I wonder where Fairfax was bred and grown originally?"

I can't answer that, but I do know that Fairfax once had a reputation for exceptionally fine flavor. I would like to grow it some time. It is very hard to find these days.

Jim

• jpdchef
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the help folks.Sorry I haven't been back but the wife was in hospital,and things are just getting back to normal here."I wonder where Fairfax was bred and grown originally?"
    I can't really speak to the where,but my information sheet states it came from a mr. George M. Darrow--cross made in 1923,selected in 1925,intoduced in 1933.

• mistercross
    18 years ago

If memory serves, Darrow was the USDA berry expert involved in locating the Boysenberry.

For what it's worth, two currently available strawberry varieties related to Fairfax are Sparkle (Fairfax x Aberdeen), and Earliglow (3 of it's 4 grandparents have Fairfax as an ancestor).