Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsgardener2015

Seeking Scramble eggs Daffodil

mrsgardener
17 years ago

My search has once again restarted. I'm seeking a daffodil that has a bloom that is yellow/ white in color Looks exactly like a egg that is mixed before cooking. I have searched two well known heirloom bulb comapnies without luck. Anyone know of the bulb?--- thanks!

Comments (6)

• kathy_jo_mo
    17 years ago

Does it look anything like a Rip VanWinkle Daffodil?

• mrsgardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello kathy Jo! Thanks for your response.No... I know what Rip looks like. I am searching for a bloom of yellow and white.

• rodger
    17 years ago

I came across this site never ordered from them. They have a daffadil called butter and eggs. I have this one growing at our house which is 116yrs old. If I new exactly where the bulbs where since there are others in the same areas I would dig you a few. Here is a link. Rodger

Here is a link that might be useful: butter and eggs

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

I was told this is butter and eggs. I dug them from an old home site here on the property. One out of about 300 blooms has pale yellow outer petals, as opposed to the cream colored ones shown here.

They have needed dividing for so long, that I doubt if there will be but a handfull of blooms in 2007.
    {{gwi:17784}}

Sue

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Hello mrsgardener! Searching for info online, I ran across your post here. It has been sometime since you posted this, but thought I would send a response to you.

I believe I have the variety of Daffodil you are talking about. There is an old homesite at my dad's farm that has some of these 'Scrambled Eggs' Daffodils that have been there for years and years. They are just starting to come up now, so within a few weeks they should be in full bloom. I didn't get any good photos last year, but I will make sure to get some this year. I plan to dig them as soon as the foilage dies back and re-locate them. If you are still looking for them, I'll be happy to send you some!

-Frank

• swlms1955
    15 years ago

I believe I have access to some of these bulbs. I visited my great-grandparents home place this weekend. They lived in an old posting inn, which was torn down right before WWII. I know the daffodils were there when the family moved onto the property. My dad was born in 1915, and you'll have to do the math about when my great-grandparents would have been born. There are still huge clumps of the bulbs in the pasture. They badly need to be divided. I dug up a big clump last weekend, divided them, planted some, and passed them around to friends. I'd like to see them live. They're a small flower and they bloom later than all the other daffodils. Since they're so overcrowded, some of the bulbs look to be the size of wild onions. It's the wrong time of the year to dig up daffodil bulbs, but I can't get in there in the Fall. I've tried. It's overgrown, with lots of ticks, chiggers, briars, tall weeds, and probably a few copperheads. The pasture is in Northwest Arkansas, on the Oklahoma line.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting