Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigutehort

Historic garden/landscape reconstruction

Bigutehort
19 years ago

I am looking for any information I can gather regarding the typical German immigrant business owner family urban homestead either from the 1880-1910 era or the earlier 20th century (before 1930), I am looking for such insights as plants, planting styles, or thoughts that would tend to mold garden structure for an upper-midwest German immigrant family. I am particularly interested in the simplest issues as in shrubbery (and consequently the maintenance)and any preferrence for perrenials or annuals and what plants. Please email me at; bigute-hort@prodigy.net with any details, including any referrences you may have. Your help is greatly appreciated. We are reconditioning an historic German urban Homestead landscape.

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

I was going to suggest that you also post in the new Garden Rstoration Forum but see you've already done so.

There were several folks who wanted to see a separate Forum just for the kinds of questions you've asked and so that Forum was formed.

If you look at the backpages here, perhaps using the search feature below, you might find additional information from the time before that Forum startred, which was quite recent.

When it comes to suggestions of specific plants, vegetables or flowers and sources, then perhaps posting here again might be helpful.

Carolyn

• paquebot
    19 years ago

I tried to locate anything that would help you out with the German part but no go. With your background, you no doubt know all of the locations of historical gardens and ethnic restorations in Wisconsin. Somewhere in the northern part is a Finnish restoration and there are several such Norwegian locations. Of course, English gardens everywhere despite few Englishmen settling in this state. But I can't think of ever hearing of a German one. I'll link to a list of gardens, historical and otherwise, anyway.

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Gardens

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

german immigrants would probably have planted plants that reminded them of home. why not take a look at germans or search that avenue. I could ask my mom what she remembers her parents and grandparents grew in germany.

• Bigutehort
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I want to THANK everyone for all the helpfull responses I have been getting___ THANKS!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services