Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Heirloom plant sources?

ginny12
18 years ago

I am trying to compile a list of catalogs or online sources for heirloom flowers and flowering shrubs. This will be for ornamental gardens rather than vegetables, for instance. Do you have any catalog names or websites you think would be helpful on this list? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Lilrose
    18 years ago

I, too, am interested in this.....I would love a source for heirloom lilacs.

• tucker303
    18 years ago

I do not know if I am of any help but select seeds, seed savers exchange (you can get a flower/herb membership) and seeds of change I have found to be very nice.

• northerngirlz3
    18 years ago

Seed Savers Exchange at seedsavers.org is probably the biggest. Another one is Baker Creek Heirloom seeds at rareseeds.com
    Both of these offer free catalogs and online catalogs.
    Jen

• michelelee
    18 years ago

R.H Shumway. Free Catalog.

• LeahB
    18 years ago

I've been happy with Select Seeds and Old House Gardens. I just learned that you can order heirloom seeds from Monticello (Jefferson's home) also.

I have two heirloom lilacs that I found at a local nursery, they are syringia (forgive me if I've misspelled it) vulgaris and syringia vulgaris alba. To translate - those are the common purple lilac and its white counterpart. I checked out a book at the public library on lilacs and it named several heirloom varieties. One of them, Charles Joly I believe, was available locally too.

• sedum37
    18 years ago

For antique bulbs (Spring and Fall) you may want to check out Old House Gardens. I just put in an order yesterday for some Gladiolus, Cannas, and Dahlias. This is my first order with this company but feel confidant in them since they have a great reputation on Garden WatchDog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens - Antique Bulbs

• ginny12
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! Yes, I have ordered from them and it doesn't get any better. Great catalog, great website, great bulbs.

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Ginny I thought of another web site if you are into old rose varieties. Many years ago I ordered roses from this company called 'Roses of Yesterday and Today' -- from a traditional catalog as this was before the internet. I had planted these in a different house I was living at. When I moved to my current place the site conditions didn't allow for roses so I haven't dealt with them since. I did have good experience with them but this was probably 17 years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Yesterday and Today

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Ok. Here is my last recommendation. Ginny you probably have got this one but just in case....

You might want to order (or look at the catalog) from 'The Fragrant Path'. This small seed seller has many old fashioned fragrant plants listed in its catalog. No website, email or phone. Traditional catalog only. Many old fashioned seeds. See link below for catalog info.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fragrant Path Catalog (Seeds) -- Garden Watchdog

• ginny12
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sob and gnashing of teeth, Sedum37, I have too much shade for roses but I will keep that on my list anyway. And thanks for the tip about The Fragrant Path. Do you know that is the name of a wonderful book about fragrant plants--by Louise Beebe Wilder in the 1930s, but it has been reprinted.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH