Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllisbo

Heirloom Seeds?

Phyllisbo
18 years ago

I'm relatively new to the GardenWeb forums. I oversee a horticulture therapy program for a non-profit agency. We would like to start an heirloom garden (flowers and vegetables). Of course, we cannot afford to spend a whole lot of money. What companies offer heirloom seeds at reasonable prices?

Thanks for any information!

Comments (15)

• opabinia51
    18 years ago

Try the Garden Path located in Victoria British Columbia. The propreitor has a website that you can find. Her name is Caroline Herriot. Try typing in Garden Path And Caroline Heriot in google.

• suze9
    18 years ago

What companies offer heirloom seeds at reasonable prices?

Sandhill Preservation is a great one for vegetable seeds.

Pinetree for ornamentals and some veg.

• shapiro
    18 years ago

I also recommend Terra Edibles, Box 164, 535 Ashley Street, Foxboro, Ontario, Canada. The postal code:
    K0K 2B0. Don't be misled by the name "Edibles" - this nursery also carries lots of heirloom flowers, for example, sweet peas such as Painted Lady, introduced in 1737 and Cupani's Original, going back to 1699: has deep blue standards and purple wings. These are all highly scented.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

And sources in Canada are being given to someone in the US in Virginia because?

Not only are there some possible customs problems, but price differentials as well. Since 1990 I've been sending seeds to Canadian SSE members and vice versa so have had some experience in that regard and do know the two Canadian sources mentioned above, as well.

I concur with Suze about Sandhill Preservation and low prices for excellent veggie heirlooms, as well as Pinetree for the small packs and small prices they charge for the much fewer varieties they have for both flower and veggie heirlooms. But you've got to get your order mailed to Sandhill ASAP or you'll wait over a month for seeds since this is a hobby business and they don't send out seeds year round. The dates are given at the website.

I'd also add Heirloom Seeds, the one in PA, for veggies and I think they also have some flowers but can't remember and didn't check.

But the most outstanding place for heirloom flower seed I've linked to below, take a look. It all depends on whether almost any flower variety will do or if it's specific ones you're looking for.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom flower seed

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Garden Path apparently DOES ship to US customers. Multi-national order form depicted on site. Link to conversion rate also provided. Some interesting vegetables listed there as well as flowers. Neat!

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Path / Seeds of Victoria

• shapiro
    18 years ago

To Carolyn137: the Canadian sources were given simply because the people responding were from Canada.

• redbrick
    18 years ago

Perhaps if you contacted Baker Creek Seeds, they could accommodate you. Of course I can't promise, or speak for them, but they may be willing to donate or defray the seed costs. I believe they do this sort of public service in the interest of public awareness. Again, I can't promise anything.

• Phyllisbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has posted a folow-up!!! I am checking out all the places everyone recommended.

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully I will have something to exchange before too long.

Phyllis

• hortist
    18 years ago

Phyllis,

my undergrad is in in HT (KSU 93').

I'd be happy to send you seeds, no charge. Just email me and Ill tell you how to contact me.

If you have ANY info about gardening specifically with autistics I would be most grateful. It seems no one has really generated any such kind of reference - I think because each autistic is different and sensory issues would complicate general info and most work would likely be one on one like an ABA program.

Keith

• winter_unfazed
    18 years ago

Try Seed Savers Exchange and Baker Creek.

• puttingaround
    18 years ago

another: heirloomvegetableseedwarehouse.com very reasonable! In looking for heirloom seeds on the web- I came across information about Monsanto (the genetic engineering guys, with others) buying out Seminis seeds. (A major supplier of seeds to lots of our seed catalogs) Has anyone heard about this? Also in countryside mag. there was an article about mandatory small livestock registration program also backed by this company. Any one else hear about this?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I came across information about Monsanto (the genetic engineering guys, with others) buying out Seminis seeds. (A major supplier of seeds to lots of our seed catalogs) Has anyone heard about this? Also in countryside mag. there was an

Yes, there have been several long threads about the Monsanto buyout and what it might mean for the future.

But since we don't know that right now, I'm kind of ignoring it, b'c I happen to not believe that they are going to ruin the huge profitable distribution system of Petoseeds, which is the Seminis subsidiary most closely associated with the vegetable seeds that are prevalent here in the US.

Fedco seeds in Maine has decided to phase out those affected veggies, and there was a long thread on that as well.

If you want to read more about what's been posted you might go to the search feature below and include not just this Forum but all Forums at GW to find those threads.

Carolyn

• LeahB
    18 years ago

Select seeds, Old House Gardens and Seeds of Change offer heirlooms. Monticello (Jefferson's home) offers heirloom seeds and plants too. And - I noticed over the weekend that the new Burpee display at a local home improvement store has a section of heirloom seeds. It appears that more people are becoming aware of the benefits of returning to the old garden standards and the seed companies are responding with more heirloom varieties. A good trend, I think.

• gmaness
    18 years ago

I'm new to GardenWeb (as well as a couple of other forums) and I could provide you with some heirloom veggies and herbs if you would like them free of charge. I am currently compiling my seed list so it may take me a few days to get it complete. Drop me an e-mail or post a follow up and we can go from there. Best Wishes, Gary

• zebraman
    18 years ago

If price is a factor try www.heirloomacres.net