Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Looking for 'Selma Zebra'

I've been searching for this heirloom pole bean without much success, is anyone growing or have 'Selma Zebra' THIS side of the pond? Any help finding this bean would be very much appreciated.

Annette

Comments (7)

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Just curiosity, but are you looking for the original Selma Zebra that Park Seed sold 30 to 40 years ago? I remember it being described as one of a pair of beans with similar heritage. The beans were about 5 to 6 inches long, somewhat heat and nematode tolerant, and fairly productive.

DarJones

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dar, the one I'm looking for Thompson & Morgan U.K. has listed after a 30 year absence, they don't send to Canada.
    I read somewhere :) this one is originally from Switzerland. Seeds of Diversity have it on their endangered list and very hard to find.

Annette

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Annette,
    You did read about Switzerland, but it is actually a Parks intro that made its way over to Switzerland. If you read through the link from the Bean forum, you'll see the info.
    Hopefully someone from the UK sees this and will buy a pack to send you. Did you post this over on the Bean forum too?
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion with Selma Zebra History in it.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Remy, thanks that is probably where I got the idea it was from Switzerland, I also read somewhere it grows to 8" in length. I'll keep putting feelers out, see if I can snag some.

The Comtesse de Chambord I had such a hard time finding is now available from a couple of places in Canada, this one just about slipped away. I plan on growing it again next year, I spread most of what I had around so need to replenish my stash :).

Annette

Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks like I lucked out, a very nice person is going to send me a pkg. :).
    Another bean 'Selma Star' related? seems to have gone the way of the Dodo Bird, Seeds of Diversity have it listed... apparently extinct.

Annette

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

Did you ever find it? I bought 'Selma Zesta' beans from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Listed as "Heirloom from the J. C. Metze family of Newberry, SC, offered by Parks Seed in the 1960s" Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Original Author
    11 years ago

ocalagirls, yes I found it and I'm growing a few this year. Whether it's the same as Zelma Zesta/ Selma Zesta? sold by Parks Seed in the 60s I don't know. I also have Zelma Zesta, I hope to grow both of these next year and compare.
    Selma Zebra is being sold by Thompson & Morgan in the UK this year after a 30 year absence, it's sister seedling Selma Star is said to be extinct although I did see it listed on a website in Europe. Here's a picture of Selma Zebra taken this year.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner