Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lousiana purple pod pole beans

Posted by mcleod 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 12:58

Anyone else grow this pole bean? It is the only "green" bean that I allow in my garden and has been for over thirty years.
Here's my story on this pole bean;

Dad always grew the rattlesnake bean (a fine bean in it's own right) but one year was persuaded to grow the purple pod by a friend and was warned to be careful with it. Not knowing what to be careful about he planted it just as he would the rattlesnake bean, three 100' rows of it just like the three rows of rattlesnake that he planted that year as insurance. We canned ALOT for winter since Daddy had three big eating boys to raise.
Well, we found out what "be careful" was all about. The purple pod came up out of the ground running and didn't quit until hard frost. They were ahead of the rattlesnake by two weeks and out produced four to one. I don't think we picked a single rattlesnake bean that year and we were hauling purple pods out by the trash can full. Neither Dad nor I have planted a rattlesnake bean since, oh and he switched from three rows to one.
BTW, the purple pod is way more than production the taste is the very best. I eat them raw as I pick them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lousiana purple pod pole beans

Not going to throw down on em, LPP are decent. If you get a chance, give Blue Marbut a try. I also enjoy the really old half runner types, but they are VERY hard to find. Most places sell the 'improved' half runners that taste bad and are fibrous. Another good one for the south but hard to find seed is Alabama #1. It has the best nematode tolerance I've seen.

One note re Rattlesnake, it is a highly productive bean under good conditions, but has problems with a few soil types. It is not a good choice for northern climates but is good in the deep south U.S.

You could try Fortex if you want to grow one of the really long newer types of beans that are useful for fillet beans. If you want one of the really good mountain heirloom beans strictly for fresh snaps, give Tobacco Worm a try.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here