Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mey_gw

Pyrethrum (c. cinerariaefolium)

mey
13 years ago

Where can I find plants or seeds? I am not sure it is a Heirloom but it is at least 200+ yrs recorded. But is is classified as such? Is it controlled with copywrites etc? I know it is used in many insecticides. I want to grow it myself as a deterrant of several pest insects I have. I only want this and maybe pepper in my mix; essentially less ingredients as possible.

I have looked on several commercial and private web page seed and plant sites. Chrysantemums are rampant, but none of this class!

I have read previous posts.

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments (4)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Tradewinds fruit store, I believe they are selling them for 2.50 a pack. Free shipping on all orders of 7.50 for u.s. orders. It is under herbs!! Enjoy!!

Another plant used for pesticides by indians is the american beautyberry. The leaves and stems were used, not just the extract from the flowers.

Nicarda shoofly is used by extracting the milky substance from the bloom putting it in an open container so it will attract the flies. Once the flies drink it the extract kills the flies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium

• bigoledude
    13 years ago

How exactly would you make an insecticide from Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium?

Down here in SE Louisiana a good insecticide can be very crucial to successful growing.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Not sure of the "exact" steps but pyrethrum is used in chemicals used by commercial companies as the active ingredient. If I am not mistaken it is found in the flower head. Some even say having the plant in your garden will keep other insects off of the near by plants.

• mey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bigoledude, I am in SE Louisiana too. It is nearly impossible to control those pests, huh?

I am going to experiment. I read about the flower on the net, books etc. There is even a commercial on tv about some company (j&j ?) using it.

The most I have so far is drying the flower petals and stamen and etc (middles) and then crushing to powder and making a mixture to spray on plants. This mixture should include a pepper oil (black I think). BE VERY CAREFUL: do not use equipment for processing that would be also used in kitchen and food prep. Although many "safe" products are ok for consumption one can never know how much is too much for any one individual.

Thank you all for info. I am going to check out tradewinds definately! I appreciate it.