Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janehardy_tennessee

Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow

I am looking for wire fencing that was used as backyard fencing around 1920 - 1970 (a rough guess).

It may be called welded wire fence. However, this name may be inaccurate.

The fence is made of wire slightly thicker than a coathanger that is welded together creating rows and columns of rectangles measuring approximately 4" high by 2" wide. At the top of the fence, the perpendicular wires extend up above the highest horizontal wire, then loop over, and go down again, making small arches along the top of the fence.

I am determined to replace the same damaged fence in our 1920 Bungalow's backyard with this "period" fence. I'm hoping to find it in 48" to 72" heights, or anywhere in between.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the real name of the fence I am describing, so that I can search the Web for manufacturers?

2. Where might I find it, or who might I contact who might know where I can find it?

I would appreciate any recommendations!

Comments (117)

• Janieful
    12 years ago

We have this fencing in the backyard of our 1920s bungalow, and I am desperate to be rid of it. It is overgrown with vines and weeds. I try to control the overgrowth, but I have been unable to, and it is murder to get vines out of this fencing. Do you think there are people that would be interested in original fencing like this that is pretty rusted? I wasn't sure if it was salvageable, but I would hate to dispose of something that people would actually want. It's about 100 feet of original crimped wire fencing. We live in the Saint Louis area. I don't want any money for it, I just want it out!

• ralleia
    12 years ago

I'd consider putting it on Craigslist or Freecycle. Someone might be willing to come out and tear it out, even for just scrap metal value.

• KellySueCorder
    11 years ago

I know this thread is really old, but it looks like people are still referring back to it. I have located where to buy new ornamental fencing but was wondering if anyone out there had some used that they would either like to sell or give away for the labor of taking it down. I am located in West Texas (south of Abilene) and don't mind driving within two hours to find this fencing for our yard. We have a 19 month old and am in desperate need of fencing to contain him and I love the look of the old double loop fencing. I am interested in finding two of the gates to go with it as well. Thanks so much!

• lora2jake
    11 years ago

I am looking for vintage double loop fence. If anyone out there has some for sale, please contact me. I need 25' to 50'.
    Thanks!

• maxhaleys
    9 years ago

I have some available in Austin, Texas. Old sears brand.

Have 130' of double loop. Not continuous though. Largest length is 60'.

(2) entry gates(32" and 38") and
    (2) 10' gates

Contact via email

waterloogeneralstore at gmail dot com

(sorry, trying to avoid spammers)

This post was edited by maxhaleys on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 0:18

• PRO
    Pat Taylor, Inc.
    9 years ago

I work in historic preservation and have collected rolls of wire loop fencing and gates over the years. I'm really drawn to the stuff. I grew up with this style of fencing in our neighborhood and surrounding area, absolutely beautiful. Thanks for carrying the conversation forward.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I just happened upon this thread, and I too love this fencing - researched it to find it in Texas and here is what I came up with - hope this helps someone!

Judith

Three Convenient Locations to Serve You

6612 Harborside Dr.
    Galveston, TX
    409-744-7131
    409-741-0196
    (fax)

Galveston, TX

2215 IH 45
    League City, TX
    281-332-0511
    281-554-2592
    (fax)

Houston, TX Area

3501 N. IH 35
    Georgetown, TX
    512-930-4000
    512-930-4002
    (fax

• Daniel Coleman
    9 years ago

Also looking in Nebraska. Contact me if you have fence for sale. Thank you.

• Lisa P
    8 years ago

Anyone know where to get this in Minneapolis area? We'd love to put some up.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    8 years ago

I would call any of these 3 places and see if they know of someone in your area who sells it - or how to get in touch with the actual factory that manufactures it and find someone close. Failing all that - I would think these places would ship - might be expensive, but if you didn't need but a couple of rolls, might be worth it.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    8 years ago

It looks like one can still order it directly from Hutchison and have it shipped. They sell it in various heights : 16 inches, 22 inches, 36 inches, 42 inches and 48 inches - all made from 11 gauge wire.
    ornamental wire fencing from Hutchison

• goodfellowb
    8 years ago

i am looking for some old {rusty} ornamental fencing in chattanooga,tn area. would love to hear from anyone who knows of any available thanks

• mrytbndt
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

google it....1920's wire fence designs, or wire fence of the 1920's, or historic metal fence designs you will get photos from all over and should be able to find your fencing. Good Luck!

• paula morin
    8 years ago

I purchased the double loop and had it installed but don't like it, it was nailed to round wooden cedar posts, posts are much too bulky and the fencing not pulled tight enough. I'm more than willing to take it down myself and have someone reinstall it, what has folks found the best method to be? Using chainlink posts and poles from post to post? How about painting it, using rollers or someone mentioned they were going to spray paint and then add flecks of other colors. Did everyone us that fence stretcher that was mentioned? All advice appreciated.

• Julie Ellis
    8 years ago

The only remaining producer of this fence (CF&I Brand Ornamental Fence) was Davis Wire in Pueblo, Colorado. They supplied a number of distributors as far away as Texas and the Midwest, but no other producers exist. I bought 2 of the last 4 rolls in existence from Hutchison's Western Supply in Adams City, CO. The machine that produced the wire was one-of-a-kind and it was dismantled when the site was eliminated. Sad but true.

• katthymes
    8 years ago

That is true.

however, a rustic garden still has some of the fence. It is expensive, compared to what the original fence cost....but, they still have some. I just completed a fence made from this around my yard. I had 50 ft of it from a previous project , and bought another 50ft from artistic garden.com. It turned out great! And I love it!

then about 2 weeks after it was finished, I found a 100 ft roll of it at Canton ,tx first Monday trade days! It had never been unrolled!

so, my windy point is that it can still be found , you just have to search for it?

hopfully, someday someone will make it again!

• paula morin
    8 years ago

How did you put it up, with poles like a chain link?

• katthymes
    8 years ago

Hi

yes we did use the chain link style post and rails. We bought them at a fence supply rather than box stores because the post and rails at the box stores are painted, so that they won't age or rust.

we are looking forward to some patina in the future.

also, yes we used a fence stretcher

• paula morin
    8 years ago

I was thinking of painting my brown or black, won't it take years for the silver color to change? I appreciate your help

• katthymes
    8 years ago

Hi

ard you familiar with HGTV's fixer upper show?

they have a bed and breakfast in Mc Gregor Tx that has a black painted double loop fence around the yard. It looks good, but painting the fence will add to the maintainance. There is also a paint , I have been told, that looks like aged galvanized , it's made for this type of fence. I have never seen it.

our fence is already looking not as bright. If you are sure to get untreated post and rails they will turn fairly quickly.

• ecdschindler
    8 years ago

Love, love, love this thread!

I'm in the Atlanta, GA area and am searching for at least 100' of the 42" or 48" fencing. Any ideas where I can find it? (And yes, I've already tried every. last. one. of the links on this thread - many are no longer available - and I've sent a message to Hutchinson's.)

Thank you ever so!

• katthymes
    8 years ago

I bought 100 ft of the single loop from Hutchinsons in Feb..

the web site said they had double loop , but they didn't

the single loop doesn't have the extra fencing at the bottom. So if you are trying to keep critters out of your yard, you will have to put some kind of smaller spaced wire at the bottom. We live in the country , put that fence in the back and put about 2 ft high of welded horse panel at the bottom... To keep armadillos out of the yard. You can barley see the welded wire.

also, I got an email from the girl who runs arusticgarden.com.

she said that they are out of wire. But , she said that they are hoping to manufacture it later this year! So that is really great news.

i did find a roll of it at a flea market this spring.... So if you can't wait on her...get out there and hunt for it!:)

• colbyrandalljackson
    8 years ago

Hi this wire fence was discontinued last year and now i cant get it! I only need a 12 foot section for a 1890s house. Does anyone still have any, i need some asap!!

• katthymes
    8 years ago

The only hope that I know, outside of searching flea markets , trade days ect is to contact arustcgarden.com to see if they are going to manufacture this fence later this year!

good luck!

• katthymes
    7 years ago

Hi fence friends!

does anyone know where you can find the scrolls on the top of the gate in the picture??

• Ralph A
    7 years ago

I purchased the last 2 rolls of the 42" A-11 double loop spring of 2016. At that time there were some other odds and ends left at Hutchinson Fence but I think they are all gone now. Davis Wire Pueblo made the stuff but they discontinued it. Many of the old Iowa farm front yards had this stuff. Sorry to see it go.

• 1twillis1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just bought this out of a barn in Central Illinois. The farmer said that it around 60 feet. I think there is more than that. I don't think it was ever used. 4' tall. I would like to sell it.

• katthymes
    7 years ago

Hi,

i bought a roll like that , at the first Monday in Canton , Tx. This past Spring.

it was a 100 ft roll that had never been used .. Looks the same ... Anyway, this fence is no longer being made at this time.. When it was still available it was selling for $1,000.00 for a 100 ft roll 48" high... ( I paid much less for the one I bought!).

You might contact arusticgarden.com to see if they would be interested in buying it from you, or post it on social media.., people love it!!! It is so cool!

good luck!

• ecdschindler
    7 years ago

Ralph, where are you? I am interested in buying the wire fencing that you have. I'm in the metro Atlanta area.

• Ralph A
    7 years ago

ecdschindler - I purchased the fence for my yard. It has mostly been installed so I don't have any to sell. The fence is barely visible in the image below.

• katthymes
    7 years ago

Wow Ralph!

what a beautiful home and setting!

i can see your fence! We did ours with the galvanized post and rails too....

• Lori Gunter
    7 years ago

I'm so disappointed! We moved into a 1940's home last year that has this fencing around part of the property. It is pretty beat up in areas and we were hoping to replace & fence the entire lot with this fencing. If anyone hears of them making more, I hope it will be posted. We did talk to a company who said the only manufacturer closed down the plant due to antiquated equipment. Sure wish someone would revive it or come up with a new machine to make this fencing. It's beautiful and it appears that there are many people looking for it.

• katthymes
    7 years ago

Hi Lori

look about 6 posts up from here, there is someone that has some older fence to sell... it looks like a 100 ft roll to me!

also, I just got a call last week from a place called a rustic garden.com

they will be carrying the single loop soon and the double loop this fall

you can go to that website and email them or give them a call

re ember, if you buy the single loop and you are trying to keep critters out of your yard , they can go through that fence, if you are wanting to keep them out..you'll need the double loop!

good luck,

• Lori Gunter
    7 years ago

Thanks so much katthyme! Maybe we will hold out for rustic gardens since we are looking for about 300 ft. This is really hopeful! and thanks for the info on the single vrs double loop. we have the double loop so it will be worth the wait1 Many thanks!

• katthymes
    7 years ago

You are welcome!

Hope that it works out !

• Catrina Davis
    7 years ago

Last Fall I scored 100' of new fencing in a Facebook yard sale group, from a woman 5 miles away who'd bought one of the last rolls from Hutchison before they ran out. I still need about 50' more so I'll be checking the rustic garden website frequently, thank you, katthyme!

• katthymes
    7 years ago

That is great!

you are welcome!

i love this fence! I know that many of you do too!

i asked for help with it one time and I was treated rudely ... I was tod it could never be purchashed becuz it was vintage only... that was awful .. so I kept investigating and found a source ..I want to help all who want to carry on this cool fence for generations to share !

hope you get the rest of your fence!!!

• katthymes
    7 years ago

Hi Catrina,

i received an email that you you emailed me, but it's not here....

also, I just noticed your kitty face! Too adorable! I am a cat person too!

kat thyme:)

• Felicia Bannister
    7 years ago

This feed was going on for years!!! I have been searching & searching for this fence for my garden... The manufacturer went out of business a couple years ago I was told- a local fence company to me said they even offered to buy the machine that makes it & they refused! He said they get about 3-4 calls a day for the ornamental double loop.

I talked to A Rustic Garden & theirs is over $900 for a 100ft roll!! Yowza!!! Which I feel is ridiculous & told them so.

Anywho... I think you can purchase this fence in China- but dang, I want to buy American.

If anyone ever finds this fence for all us searchers...Let us know!!

• katthymes
    7 years ago

I agree about the price!!! But, a rustic garden is getting it from Australia... shipping can't be cheap . Those rolls are heavy. But.. this fence will last FOREVER..even if you use wooden post and have to replace them. That wire will out live you!!!

it is so sad that they shut production down here:( I have never heard that they refused to sell... maybe they plan to go back into production once the price gets up????

there is some of this fence around . I bought a 100 ft roll at a trade days in Tx for $200 last spring... so get out there ! Maybe you will find some! Good luck!

• Julie Ellis
    7 years ago

The producer (Pueblo, Colorado) did in fact go out of business and the company refused to sell the machine that produces the crimped wire fence because it was anchored in cement and removal would have required complete dismantling. I bought 2 of the last 3 rolls ever produced from Hutchison Farm and Ranch in Denver---they offered to buy the machine but the company refused to sell.

• PRO
    A Rustic Garden, Ltd.
    7 years ago

As mentioned, we've been working hard to get this back for customers, and we're getting close to stocking it soon in the single loop. One upgrade will be to use a thicker wire than the old double loop fencing produced state side the last 150 years. Some of the pictures posted in this forum show the irregular weaving, which probably resulted from using thin 11-gauge wire on the old fence.

For folks with an eye on quality, we think the 8 gauge wire single loop fencing makes a better pattern and elegant design possibilities for a premium bungalow style.

We'll be shipping from the central United States.

Call us at 866.514.2733 about your project.

• mdmarguerite
    6 years ago

American Iron Fence carries single loop ornamental wire fencing and plans on making double loop sometime soon - in the fall.

http://www.americanironfence.com/doloorwifecu.html

• Theresa Murphy
    5 years ago

can anyone tell me style and era of this fence? Is it worth anything if we rip out?

• katthymes
    5 years ago

Hi

cute gate!

i think that fence is called none clinb fence becuz horses can’t get their hooves in it... I think that they still make it...

• HU-667515483
    5 years ago

Glad run across this thread. Im in a 1958 cottage in Florida and looking to replace the original driveway gates that were made of this double loop wire you have been discussing. Unfortunately, I believe the old ones were sold for scrap a few years ago. Such a shame. Also wanting to go back to the original jalousie doors and windows. Fun project...

• mleabruce
    4 years ago

I live in Krum, TX and have a few large rolls of this antique fencing. I am interested in selling it for the right offer. I believe it is 42” or 48” tall...it is in storage but I can go measure it for a serious buyer. My cell is 682.201.6681. (Forgive my pinkie in the pics...I was trying to show a friend about how thick the wire is)

• HU-164568395
    4 years ago

Just bought 1930 bungalow. Need woven wire single or double loop fencing. Does anyone have some they want to sell?? A gate too?? I have looked everywhere. Located in Oregon

• katthymes
    4 years ago

Hi there,

arusticgarden.com in Illinois has new double loop wire....

I just bought a half of a roll just this week to finish a project.... they make gates as well....

also have free shipping and ship quickly!

good luck!

• HU-365217759
    3 months ago

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for the glavanized double loop fencing. However, if so, I just moved into a 100 yr-old victorian home. The fence that meets the neighbors has been replaced with chain link so, I have about 30 ft. I’m willing to sell. Just e-mail me. kerrileigh2015@gmeil.com

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County