Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoegurl2001

Mystery Heirloom Tomato??

zoegurl2001
18 years ago

Hi There,

I received in a trade a tomato labeled as "Lyudas Mom", and she said it was an heirloom. But I have searched the net, and can't find anything even remotely resembling this name. Does anyone have any clue what this tomato might really be called? TIA guys.

~Summer

Comments (7)

• winnjoe
    18 years ago

curious. Before I posted the message you are reading now, the main "Heirloom Plants and Garden" index lists a response to the original post (Tues. Nov. 22, 19:24), but when I click on it there is no such message. Joe

• suze9
    18 years ago

There was a followup alright (by ivillage1009) -- but it was deleted.

Here is a link that might be useful: weirdness

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Summer, I'll bet your tomato originated with Lyuda_z6TX, a GardenWeb member whom I've traded with in the past. Lyuda is originally from Ukraine, and she gave me some seeds from tomatoes that her family grew over there. I remember that Carolyn Male and some of the other experts on the Tomato Forum positively ID'd a couple of them as Russian commercial varieties. One that Lyuda called "Newbie" was actually "Novichok" - which pretty much means "Newbie" in Russian anyway! Maybe you could contact Lyuda and see if she can give you more info about the "Lyuda's Mom" tomato.

• elvis
    18 years ago

Same thing I was thinking Cecelia. I don't think it's a coincidence...

• pongie
    17 years ago

This is an old post, but thought I'd let you know that I received a tomato plant called "Ludia's mom's Red Ukraine" from an heirloom tomato grower at http://www.selectedplants.com/

This is Darrel Jones who comes well recommended. I let him pick some varieties for me that are more on the acidic taste range and this was one he suggested. Just an fyi.

• llaz
    17 years ago

pongie
    Thank you so much for the tip about about Darrel Jones' website. What a treasure! As a big know-it-all, I thought I knew all the big tomato sites. Many thanks. lou

• suze9
    17 years ago

I've ordered plants from Darrel before and he does a superlative job. Plants are very healthy, reasonably priced, and are well packed.

I also appreciate his no-hype/no-nonsense approach and intellectual honesty.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living